Timber Framers Guild

Sourcing roundwood in DC

Posted By: AdamUK

Sourcing roundwood in DC - 04/30/09 12:05 PM

Hello,
I work for an environmental research and eduction centre in Wales, UK: the Centre for Alternative Technology.

We're coming over to Washington DC this summer to take part in the Smithsonian Folklife festival. We're planning to build a roundhouse with strawbale walls.

Does anyone know where we can source round wood for the posts, henge beams and the principal rafters, ideally Douglas fir or Larch, 10 inch for the posts, 4-6inch for the rafters.

We need to source this material as close to DC as possible.

Thanks.
Posted By: OurBarns1

Re: Sourcing roundwood in DC - 04/30/09 02:19 PM

Hi Adam:

What is a "henge beam?" Is that like a wall plate (Stonehenge cross beam?)

Posted By: Gabel

Re: Sourcing roundwood in DC - 05/01/09 02:40 AM

Adam,

I can't help you find a specific source as I am several hundred miles away from DC, but Doug Fir and larch do not grow in the DC area -- they are not native to the mid-atlantic. Perhaps you could use some other local timber, such as yellow poplar for the pole rafters and a pine for the posts?

best of luck
Posted By: AdamUK

Re: Sourcing roundwood in DC - 05/01/09 03:29 PM

Thanks Gabel, I'll look into yellow poplar and pine.
Posted By: Waccabuc

Re: Sourcing roundwood in DC - 05/01/09 11:38 PM

Hi Adam,
Since you'll be in DC, why don't you try some of our great building quality East Coast species rather than importing Doug Fir/Larch 3000 miles from the West Coast.
Consider eastern pines - Southern Yellow or Eastern White.
Consider white Cedar, called Atlantic or Virginia Cedar.
Consider American Cypress, called yellow or bald cypress.
These softwoods should be excellent for replacing the fir.
Lots of people could advise you re characteristics, and point you to sources. Some here could harvest logs etc for you and even sawmill to your needs.
Keep asking and be more specific.

I look fwd to seeing your project. I learned so much on the TFGuild Frame 2004 tour to E Anglia England and meeting so many good people there.
Steve
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums