Timber Framers Guild

Tools needed to do raisings?

Posted By: cedar

Tools needed to do raisings? - 02/27/10 03:58 AM

What the best straps to buy for doing raisings? What are the best come-alongs to get? What are the best safety harnesses to buy? Are there more tools that can be suggested to me? Who makes the best ropes and straps? I am doing more financial planning for my shop.
Thx. for the help. Cedar.
Posted By: johninnh

Re: Tools needed to do raisings? - 02/27/10 04:24 AM

Start at McMaster Carr.

John

http://www.mcmaster.com/#
Posted By: brad_bb

Re: Tools needed to do raisings? - 02/27/10 04:30 AM

The guild has a new safety book out. I want to get it as well. I'm betting it will address what to look for in a safety harness. Look for it in the guild store at tfguild.org
Posted By: Gumphri

Re: Tools needed to do raisings? - 02/27/10 05:45 PM

For straps get something wide that will not cut into or crush the timbers.

For come-alongs buy ones with a good load rating that appear to have a solid sturdy construction. I used to work in a shop that had a whole pile of broken 2 ton ones. They are a bit like clamps in a woodworking shop you can never have enough.

Where I'm from fall arrest gear needs to be replaced every 5 years so unless you are doing a lot of raising just get what they refer to here as compliance in a can kits. They come with an anchor point that can usually be attached to timbers at the peak, a lifeline with a rope grab, a web lanyard, and a harness. Retractable lifelines are also a real joy to use and some can be used in the place of a lanyard but cost exponentially more. Another thing that you can get is used by steel erectors. Its a steel loop that attaches to a lanyard. you can use it to loop around a beam and attach directly to that.

Posted By: johninnh

Re: Tools needed to do raisings? - 02/28/10 01:24 AM

Outdoor shops like REI and EMS sell climbers webbing which is perfect for moving heavy timbers.

John
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums