Timber Framers Guild

Overwintering a frame

Posted By: timberframe

Overwintering a frame - 10/04/17 11:26 PM

I just assembled/erected my first large frame (dutch barn style barn) and the clients are having a hard time getting a crew to put a roof on it. What are the views on leaving the frame for a winter and then enclosing it in the spring?

B
Posted By: Thane O'Dell

Re: Overwintering a frame - 11/30/17 10:49 PM

One winter... no problem. Not uncommon for my clients not to finish Cabana roof until spring. Seasoned wood surface takes stains better. That may not apply to a barn.
Posted By: Jay White Cloud

Re: Overwintering a frame - 12/06/17 05:34 PM

Have visited/reviewed for repurposing 3 vintage Dutch Barns over just the last few months all over 200 years old...

Many of these have section exposed, and because they can "dry out" there is little appreciable damage occurring.

If your frame isn't oiled (aka bar wood) you could probably expect 2 years of safe exposure before worrying terribly about structural degradation of being an appreciable concern. Cosmetic change in affect is another matter, and open to personal interpretation as regards to aesthetics in wood coloration.

If the frame is oiled and the joints waxed well before assembly that time frame could stretch as far a decade in some cases before great harm befalls the frame in my experience.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums