Timber Framers Guild

Posts on conventional deck question

Posted By: 134V

Posts on conventional deck question - 10/10/20 11:57 PM

I am building a small 18' x 24' barn using rough sawn hemlock. I have built a conventional deck using KD Douglas Fir for perimeter beam and joists. I've used rough sawn 2x8 hemlock for decking. My posts will have stub tenons to attach to the built up perimeter beam.

Question - Should I sit my posts on top of the 2x8 decking or should I have the posts rest directly on the perimeter beam? 

Thanks,
Mike O' 
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: Posts on conventional deck question - 10/12/20 07:59 PM

We've always set the post on blocking below the deck so that there is enough support for the load coming down the post from above.
Setting on the decking may not be the best. It will depend on the load on the post. The decking may not support the load and that would mean that the decking would/will crush under that load.
Good luck with your project.
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: Posts on conventional deck question - 10/12/20 08:03 PM

You can see a picture at this site: https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10095/DSCF2109-s.JPG?easyrotate_cache=1196530506
Posted By: timberwrestler

Re: Posts on conventional deck question - 10/19/20 03:45 PM

We usually go directly to the framing. But sometimes in other circumstances, we'll put it over the floor decking (typically 3/4" Advantec which is not going to crush).
Posted By: 134V

Re: Posts on conventional deck question - 10/21/20 10:33 PM

In the past I have placed posts directly on the rim joists and put the decking around them (as in Jim's picture). I was going to try it the other way this time but since your input, I think I'll stick to what I know works. Thanks guys..

Mike O'
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums