Timber Framers Guild

Local and Regional Events

Posted By: Gabel

Local and Regional Events - 01/27/09 12:35 PM

On last night's membership committee call, we spent a long while discussing the concept of local/regional TFG events as a way to increase member services and participation. These events could be as simple as an evening get-together at a restauraunt or pub in areas where there are a lot of framers or as involved as the annual project Grigg Mullen organizes in Virginia.

We(the Holder Bros.) are planning to host a mini-event (probably just BBQ and axe throwing) at our shop here in N. Georgia later this year. We're picking out a date right now.

I'm fired up about what this could potentially lead to. The Guild meeting somewhere near you on a regular basis -- sounds great to me. Anybody have any ideas or thoughts?
Posted By: Will Truax

Re: Local and Regional Events - 01/27/09 10:21 PM

Some of us (Framers & restoration carpenters from the Concord / Lakes Region NH area) have been doing the Pub thing, a couple times every winter for some years now. Folks and their folk from four different shops.

Tonight included, Tuesdays are Celtic music night at the Barley House, if you’re from outside the area and watch C-Span you might have seen televised meet and greet events shot there during. primary season. It’s directly across Main from the Golden Dome of the State House and is often frequented by politician type riff-raff and other such assorted ne'er-do-wells in addition to the scary hairy Carhartt crowd.

It is one of those out-flowing and overlapping ripples on the pond that is this community. It being more than likely than not, that most of us would not know there was somebody else forty miles down the road sharing a common story, were it not for the existence of the Guild. And it is also a given that none of us would be as good at, or as knowledgeable about what we do were it not for, knowing and sometimes working with each other.

The same topic, short regional events and the potentials they might hold, are also an agenda item for the upcoming education committee con call.

I’ll echo Gabel’s sentiment - Thoughts and ideas are encouraged and welcome.

Posted By: Housewright

Re: Local and Regional Events - 01/29/09 02:45 PM

I think local events or meetings or pub-crawls would be well recieved. The key is to have someone who is motivated to do the scheduling and invitations. If they were open to non-Guild members there would be a larger pool of people.

I have been asking people in Maine to come up with 3 or 4 old barns to look at and I would help them set up the tour. I plan on organizing at least two building tours this summer here in my area. A pub gathering is even easier, even if you are "scary and hairy..."!

Jim

Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: Local and Regional Events - 01/29/09 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Housewright

...........even if you are "scary and hairy..."!

Like this:

My daughter took this picture of me....

I use it here in my shop to keep the mice away..... laugh
Posted By: mo

Re: Local and Regional Events - 01/31/09 12:15 AM

Jim, I think you frightened all the posters! hairy and definitely scary. if thats what you turn into when your drinking Im running the other way!:)

all those ideas sound good..I get tired of typing sometimes. you cant go wrong with a bbq down here in our parts.
Posted By: daiku

Re: Local and Regional Events - 01/31/09 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Gabel
On last night's membership committee call, we spent a long while discussing the concept of local/regional TFG events as a way to increase member services and participation. These events could be as simple as an evening get-together at a restauraunt or pub in areas where there are a lot of framers or as involved as the annual project Grigg Mullen organizes in Virginia.

We(the Holder Bros.) are planning to host a mini-event (probably just BBQ and axe throwing) at our shop here in N. Georgia later this year. We're picking out a date right now.

I'm fired up about what this could potentially lead to. The Guild meeting somewhere near you on a regular basis -- sounds great to me. Anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

I think this is a great idea, Gabel. A way to get involved without the huge travel expense. Our round-log brethern at the ILBA seem to have something similar going on. There's a GLLCA (Great Lakes Log Crafter's Association) that's a regional orgainzation. Not sure how the two are technically connected, but I know they're doing a joint conference this spring in WI. CB.
Posted By: Bigshow

Re: Local and Regional Events - 02/18/09 04:14 AM

Well, we just had the big South Dakota conference in your shop last Fri.....

Posted By: daiku

Re: Local and Regional Events - 02/18/09 01:10 PM

While we loved having you, beer and cards hardly qualifies as a conference :-) But I conceed that any conference would be incomplete without them. Were all of the timber frames from South Dakota in attendance? :-)
Posted By: bmike

Re: Local and Regional Events - 02/18/09 02:08 PM

Meetup for Timber Framers?

http://www.meetup.com/

Sounds like a great idea. In NE I think I can bump into a timber framer just by turning around. Certainly plenty in these here parts.

I've debated doing a regional series of SketchUp classes. Finished 1 a few weeks ago with some fine folks in the White Mountains of NH. Would be willing to offer one in the VT area if there was interest. Possibly tie it in with someone else who wanted to present of offer a short workshop.

-Mike
Posted By: Don P

Re: Local and Regional Events - 03/18/09 12:43 PM

I don't know what is planned but there will be a captive audience every night down at the Campbell folk school.
Posted By: BOB798

Re: Local and Regional Events - 05/07/09 04:19 PM

the gild has to be seen as advcating for some thing like the preseveration of existing history and supporting or funding getting grants to foster preseveration, working with vocational schools to promote some thing . We as a group have th have some infulance nation wide its not enough to just have knowledge if the building we learn from are disapearing faster than we can find them the french and the english arnt the only who have burnt down historic buildings we must do something at least make a statement.
Posted By: Dave Shepard

Re: Local and Regional Events - 05/09/09 03:46 PM

I like the idea of small regional events as well. It is much easier to travel an hour or two for a gathering than half-way across the country. Everyone could bring some photos of their projects or a list of questions to ask the more advanced members of the group. I always have questions. wink
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Local and Regional Events - 05/10/09 11:10 AM

I think it is all in the organizing and nextly the participating. Jim Derby set up one such meeting here in Maine and the turnout was large and well received. It takes an individuals time to set these things up and then bring it all together, even on a small scale. Barn tours is an example of a similar event and one was put together here on the forum by Don Perkins. I believe we need to take advantage of the chance whenever it arises.

Tim
Posted By: OurBarns1

Re: Local and Regional Events - 05/10/09 08:55 PM

I agree.

Regional meetings are easier to attend as well as easier on the pocketbook. I like the idea of bringing pictures to show folks to get opinions and jumpstart dialogue.

It does take a fair amount of work to organize. On the tour I did that Tim refers, I remember it was pretty dificult to get all 3 barn owners home on the same Saturday, etc.

Maybe one building makes more sense. A building tour and then dinner or a B-B-Q or something where folks can talk, exchange info etc.

Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Local and Regional Events - 05/11/09 03:30 PM

Lobsters, clams, and barns there is a combination.

Tim
Posted By: OurBarns1

Re: Local and Regional Events - 05/12/09 12:54 AM

Yes sir...sounds great!

I'm looking at a stone barn complex in the near future where I live. Wonder if it might be of interest...only seen it from the road so far.

Posted By: Joel McCarty

Re: Local and Regional Events - 05/12/09 01:21 PM

The Holder Brothers have scheduled regional get together at their place outside of Atlanta. You'll see it in Scantlings. I think Adrian Jones is trying to find time to host one in Colorado, too.

The Guild will be happy to support these kinds of low to no cost get-togethers with publicity at the very least.

© 2024 Timber Frame Forums