Timber Framers Guild

cables for plumbing?

Posted By: collarandhames

cables for plumbing? - 08/13/08 03:03 AM

I have an underbuilt barn that needs attention, It's a clients.
The frame is pretty much underbuilt softwood. The frames need auxillary bracing, and the endwall is needing some cross cables to help straighten things up. What sort of cable are you guys using for repairs?
I was going to use hardwood aux. bracing with threw bolts for the interior bents,, once the comealongs have straightened things up.

Re: cables for plumbing? - 08/16/08 03:08 AM

Permanently fix the come-alongs! I like it. Super Idea!
That allows for tune ups down the road!
The only nightmare,, is the H.O. getting carried away on his own, and making things worse!

Great idea!
Posted By: Will Truax

Re: cables for plumbing? - 08/16/08 12:06 PM

Never left a cable in a frame…

Don’t tend to add systems that weren’t original – There are exceptions to that rule –
Short-term stabilization awaiting budget realization – Bringing things up to code for adaptive reuse, Working within an existing budget to save a building which would otherwise be lost, etc.

More than a few inches of lean, does offer the opportunity to insert tenons, new or the commonly found empty ones.

Everyday come-a-longs don’t have the uumph you need to pull tons of building back to plumb, Grade 8 chain and ratcheting load binders work well ( use your come-a- long to get the chains taut before slipping on the binder ) I have Steamboat Jack that I get out for seriously listing barns. ( Found it at the best TF tool auction I’ve ever been to with the moderator of this forum and a bunch of other framers, and somehow I didn’t go home with seventy screw jacks, but that’s a story that’ll have to wait for more time and maybe a campfire )

Your right on with your nightmare scenario and adjustability. See it all the time with added arches on Covered Bridges, some well intended but uninitiated road agent comes along and tightens the rods to the point where the tension webs in the trusses are no longer performing, all the load is transferred to the arches, and the dominos begin to wobble…

Best to avoid it completely IMO.

Besides, somebody is bound to decide they need those come-a-longs more than the barn does. Why not just nestle in a set of passing braces once the frame is conditioned

And again, restoration is as much a rigging trade as it is one of carpentry –

Here’s a super useful file for your perusal.

http://www.petrospec-technologies.com/Herkommer/knots/FM5-125.pdf

Re: cables for plumbing? - 08/17/08 04:05 AM

The frame in question is lightly built, and large. very large.
One option would be for the owners to remove the timberframe barn overhead and put up a hoop and cloth overtop.
The foundation was done,, the basement stall area is very nice.
The roof structure was altered at one point,, but I only had a little while to check it out, so can't figure out the modifications yet.
I think it can be stabilized for the interm with cables, and hardwood braces threw bolted. It's a stich in time scenario.
Doing a small repair may lead to understaning of the structure, both myself and the owner, and a relationship with possiblities is inviting! (good people)

Posted By: mo

Re: cables for plumbing? - 08/21/08 03:49 PM

Hello, Sounds interesting. Do you know why the endwall has moved or is moving? If you have the time would like your thoughts on that. Pictures always help but understand it can be tricky to post them sometimes.

Thanks, Mo

p.s. Will, awesome file! where do you find this stuff?

© 2024 Timber Frame Forums