Timber Framers Guild

Cyprus Rabots

Posted By: Will Truax

Cyprus Rabots - 09/08/10 02:46 PM

We've been having an ongoing discussion with some of the folks at the National Center about the possibility of some of their people playing into a series of workshops we are planning to teach bridgwrighting methodologies (shoring, rigging and the subtleties of timber bridge carpentry) wrapped around the rehab of a bridge this coming year...

So, since it's there to see, I've been looking into what they do. Their research and their knowledge base, to help gather some sense of what we might learn from each other.

I came across an interesting video and thought some here might have interest, and thought I'd share. It offers a rare glimpse of a regional framing tradition and its enclosure system which even uses a form of wattle, though known in the local parlance as Batons or Rabots -

Bousillage - http://sn.im/120wm9
Posted By: Jim Rogers

Re: Cyprus Rabots - 09/08/10 04:08 PM

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting....
Posted By: TIMBEAL

Re: Cyprus Rabots - 09/08/10 07:18 PM

Fiberglass bits? I heard the reasoning, but find it funny. Couldn't they have inserted some other item to set a date? One which would not interrupt the nature of the wall system. Isn't it like using glue-lams in a historic building so the future sleuths could see the repair was modern, takes all the fun out of it.

Other than that, a wonderful video.

Tim
Posted By: mo

Re: Cyprus Rabots - 09/10/10 02:32 AM

Thanks Will. I'd like to try that sometime. Just don't put the spanish moss on your head like you got a wig on.....redbugs.
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums