Timber Framers Guild

"The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON

Posted By: frwinks

"The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 06/03/10 04:46 PM

come one, come all....After almost three years in the making, I'd like to post up an open invitation to our house raising, Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON. We have a very unique (by NA standards) frame going up, which was partially cut on site and all of the scribe work done by the one and only Mark Davidson and crew @ Whippletree Timberframing in Keene, ON. Crucks, live edge, natural curves throughout, hand hewing, etc, this frame has all da funk grin. If you're interested in cruck construction, timberframing or just having a good 'ol time seeing a few bents fly, please PM me for detailed directions. We're 1hr north of Toronto near Alliston, ON and would love for you to join us on this joyous day. As a bonus the Whippletree crew will be on site for a few days prior and after the raising, so if anyone in SW Ontario is looking for timberframe work done, this is a perfect opportunity to speak with the pros.

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 08/10/10 03:32 PM

wow, where do I start this...what a wild ride smile
First and foremost, MASSIVE thanks to our own (on TFG) Mark Davidson of Whippletree Timberframing for investing the time and showing me "the ropes" of this craft. You have forever changed my life mister wink
I'd also like to thank the crew @ WT for working long hrs scribing the insanely complicated pieces, and bringing so much knowledge and confidence to the raising, you made the last chapter of our journey super fun and stress free.
Hero award of the raising go to John McIlravey and Jim of John McIlravey Log Building and Timberframing, who travelled 3hrs just to be part of this special event. Your random act of kindness and hard work will forever be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to the Guild and all of the forum contributors for having such a very powerful resource.
now, sum pics...:)

Posted By: MTF

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 08/10/10 10:30 PM

congrats!! great lookin frame!!
Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 08/12/10 02:25 PM

Hey Raff,
a massive "you are welcome" from Dave, David and me.

we learned lots doing your frame, it's great to have the opportunity to work on something like this.

Keep those photos coming pls!
Posted By: mo

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 08/14/10 05:44 AM

Nice! Frwinks, you have been dreaming on this awhile, huh? Looks great. Nice compound cruck joint.
Posted By: collarandhames

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 10/05/10 12:55 AM

That was the most awesome frame! And yes those compound cruck joints look pretty good. I have to admit to being a little stumped by them, but mark and I got them done and they look superb! Keep those pics coming Raff! Thanks to you and Tammy for the support and awesome food!

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 10/18/10 04:53 PM

haha..yea she's a wild one grin
Two months since the raising... dried in, strapped and tucked away for the winter..
here a shot before strapping and wrap, REMOTE walls with 5.5" of Polyiso outsulation.

and a sneakpeak into the livingroom

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 10/18/10 05:23 PM

a few random shots

Posted By: Thane O'Dell

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 10/18/10 11:54 PM

Awesome frame Frinks. Is this your new home?

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 10/19/10 03:53 PM

yes sir, well, right now it's just a shell... we'll finish the inside during the winter months. The woodstove is in, the basement is done and after living in a camper for 5 months, we don't need much to survive anymore..lol
Posted By: collarandhames

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 10/30/10 02:52 AM

Best raising all year Raff! My neck was SO sore after spending a couple hours looking up at your beautiful frame. I may well bring my dad down this winter to view,, if you don't mind! Heard you're moving out of the trailer park,, awesome! You guys are inspirational! The energy you have should be harnessed,, now if we could gang up on another frame...............

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 11/02/10 02:37 PM

haha...thanks bud... when you're poor with big dreams, there's no other way.. lol
you know you're always welcome in our home...as long as you got yer toolbox with you... whistle
Moving in this weekend, it's time.... lil' snow on the ground and the water line to the trailer froze again last night... cry
wuzup with Reids? still raising this year?
Posted By: Reid Harding

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 12/10/10 04:22 PM

"wuzup with Reids? still raising this year?"

Raff,

The timber floor deck is going in next week and the raising will be early January. Delays galore in getting the foundation in owing to the need to replace a foundation wall on the existing house and the close proximity of the river adding additional difficulties.

Interesting that we are using a very similar insulation systems. I have been planning since the beginning to use the "PERSIST" system for the roof, but will also be using it for the walls now. My perimeter walls are studed 19"OC with 5"x4" oak studs, the exterior will be sheathed in 1x lumber sheathing, then "ice and water shield" vapour barrier, then 3.5 inches of Polyiso on the walls, then strap and siding. Drywall will be let into the interior side of the studs using slots, providng a one inch reveal of the studs and braces.

Reid

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 12/10/10 09:57 PM

Hi Reid, nice of you to join in on the conversation.. welcome cool
sooooo glad you're finally at this stage, I heard your journey was a tough one with your location and all...
Send me your addy, if you don't mind, I would love to swing by and say hi, Tammy has been asking almost every week if I know how you're making out... lol
The PERSIST/REMOTE is a solid system.. Let me know if you need supply on the polyiso, I have an account with IKO's direct distributor now..the prices are very good and they're just in Brampton wink
Posted By: Mark Davidson

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 12/10/10 10:21 PM

here is an image of the shaping of the crucks for Reid's addition.

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 12/11/10 04:10 AM

and one of the crucks being embraced by yours truly... smile

hey guys, I'm sooo stoked for this raising...this is THE frame that opened my eyes and so began my love affair with crucks...the rest is recent history...lol

Posted By: Reid Harding

Re: "The Cruck" is going up Aug. 4, 2010 in Mulmur, ON - 12/11/10 03:14 PM

Those cruck blades were cut almost three years ago now. Really looking forward to getting the frame raised and closed in, then i can continue working on the design for the cruck framed summer kitchen to replace the one that burnt down 30 years ago or the design for the cruck garage.

Reid
© 2024 Timber Frame Forums