Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Japanese Style Bracing? #5282 12/03/04 09:23 PM
P
Peter Henrikson Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have seen numerous references to and photos of "Japanese style bracing". The photos seem to show posts topped by a plate with a girt 1-2 feet below the plate and 2-3 studs connecting the girt and plate between the posts. Since there are no diagonal members, is the wall "braced" solely by the stiffness of the joinery?
I know little about Japanese frame design. Any comments or sources of good info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Japanese Style Bracing? #5283 12/03/04 09:55 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
i beleive you have a resonable description of the system, i'm not experienced in japanese framing but interested....as i understand it, japan has a good share of earthquakes so diagonal bracing would not be a good idea, diagonal bracing would tend to break the main connections where the parallel beams would have more chance to shake without damage?

Re: Japanese Style Bracing? #5284 12/03/04 09:58 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
here is a url for a japanese woodworking forum:
http://ibiblio.org/japanwood/phpBB2/index.php?sid=bc0b629369104dadd705fa64341d64fa
this forum is connected to Hirade's website:
http://www.japanesetools.com/index.html

Re: Japanese Style Bracing? #5285 12/11/04 02:29 AM
M
michael morningstar Offline
M
Peter,
The traditional Japanese timberframe is essentially "unbraced" in the Western sense of the word. The entire structure of a Japanese house is designed to roll with seismic activity resulting in a minimal amount of damage. This was achieved through time tested stategies such as "post on stone" foundations, the use of flexible softwood timbers, elaborate and very tight joinery, and numerous smaller constituent components, to name a few. Also keep in mind that the infill "wattle and daub" wall system is what truly keeps things rigid. I've been told that it acts like a shock absorber of sorts. Within the mud wall, between posts and beams, exists an armature "wattle" of both verticle and horizonal studs that are mortised with wedged and dovetailed tennons. Attached to this is an intricate grid of succesivley smaller bands, lashed together and mortised into the frame. In areas with really heavy snowfall a component like a girt called a "dosashi" is added, sometimes in many tiers and usually accompanied by a dense network of layered interlocking log beams running both transverse and longitudinaly. All this said, I should point out that because the traditional design approaches can not be qauntified or explained in the context of modern engineering, todays' "traditional" Japanese house sits on a continuous foundation, contains a plethora of hidden supplamental metal fastners, and uses shear walls and or hidden diaganol braces. Recently a carpenter friend from Japan lamented on how we were building structures that could last for many centuries had we not placed them on concrete foundations. The prevailing thought among several Japanese carpenters I've spoken with is that concrete exposed to oxygen starts to deteriorate after sixty or so years. Food for thought confused

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users