Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Great Un-Do - August 27-29 in NH #5966 08/03/04 01:18 PM
A
Andy Roeper Offline OP
OP Offline
A
4 weeks to go eek until we take down the big barn and I sure could use help on that weekend! The “Great Un-Do” refers to the careful dismantling of our 1852 8 bent nave-post barn. The barn measures 40x80’ nominal and contains over 643 timbers in the frame. This is not a small or simple project. The barn is located in Lyndeborough , NH and you can see details on the project at www.cwrmarketing.com/barnproject.

Arron Sturgis of Preservation Timber Framing from Eliot Maine will be leading the effort on the frame while I do my best to keep all else flowing smoothly. Although not an official Timber Framer’s Guild event, this will be conducted in the style of a guild rendezvous for those familiar with them. The TFG Rendezvous style is one in which folks from all over the country (and sometimes beyond) gather together to cut and raise a frame and have a great time doing it. This has always been one of the most informative formats I have worked with and I am happy to provide the same for others. In short, we will be feeding you well, providing a good place to stay and doing our best to make sure everyone has a great - but safe – time. The crane will be here early on the 27th and we will be working full days to get the frame down.

There are several levels of participation:

Observer; If this sounds like an intriguing idea but you don’t want to join in the work you are welcome to watch from designated viewing areas. Parking is tight so please follow the directions of our volunteers.

Frame Crew: If you are a practicing timber framer with fall arrest gear and proof of insurance we may be able to use you on the frame. Please submit a resume of experience when registering. Arron and his crew will be managing the frame activity.

Ground Crew: Once the crane starts landing sections of the frame, the Ground Crew will be dis-assembling the sections and moving beams over to the Timber Triage area by the Documentation Tent

Timber Triage: At least one expert Timber Framer and a number of volunteers will conduct assessments on the condition of each timber, take measurements and photographs and direct the placement of the timbers into various storage containers.

Food Wizards: One of the most important jobs on the site, they will be assisting Chase in her new kitchen to feed all of us with excellent meals and snacks.

Chaos Controllers: That would be those that are helping us to manage the flow of people and vehicles on the site and the surrounding areas. There is plenty of parking – but much of it will entail a short walk so we can keep everything easily accessible.

Accommodations: There is plenty of camping space in the large field above the house. We will also provide a list of nearby places to stay when you register.

What you need to bring with you depends on what you want to do. We will provide a list when you register.

Late August is probably the one of the best times of the summer to be working outside here: the bugs are pretty much gone and there may even be meteor showers to see. Plenty to see in the area too. If you would like to participate, please email me at [email]barnproject@cwrmarketing.com [/email] and I will send you a registration form.

I hope you can join us at the end of the month,
Andy & Chase Roeper

Re: The Great Un-Do - August 27-29 in NH #5967 08/21/04 10:48 AM
A
Andy Roeper Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Just an update; http://www.cwrmarketing.com/barnproject has been updated with pictures, etc. We can still use more help (my wife keeps telling me that confused :rolleyes: )next weekend.

Regards,
Andy

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users