Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
timber frame schools #468 05/09/03 03:38 AM
R
Ron Bott Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Looking for comments and opinions on timber frame schools. There seems to be a few to choose from, and I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has attended or is familiar with any particular school. I would like to gain enough knowledge to be able to build a small (16x24) timber frame cabin.

Re: timber frame schools #469 05/09/03 11:06 AM
I
Ian Lawford Offline
I
Howdie,

I know of the more prominent schools in the East such as Heart Wood but I'm not familiar with them since I decided to got the route of an apprentice ship. I couldn't afford the courses which offered any real learning curve and provided a substantial skill set. I could afford, however, taking 4mo. out of my normal routine to do a paid apprentice ship. Its not like years gone by where working for timber framing priests in Japan the apprentice can practice the art of pushing a broom (for years).
That said, if you can't afford the time and damd the expense, I know of a shcool in your part of the world called North House Folk School, and they teach timber framing. I know nothing about it, only that I received a post from Clark Bremer who teaches there. Its located in Grand Marais, Minnesota.
You can check out thier course below or contact Clark as well. Maybe you can do an apprenticeship with him!!!! You can learn alot from just going to raising. Find a list of timber framers in your area using the Guild's membership website and search for members by area.
Time to get the kids off to school. Hope that helps.

Ian
http://www.northhousefolkschool.com/classes/Timberframe.htm

clarkb@northernlightstimberframing.com

Re: timber frame schools #470 05/09/03 06:08 PM
daiku Offline
Hi Ron.

As Ian mentioned, I teach timber framing at North House Folk School, in Grand Marais, MN. They offer a 1-week 'basic' course, where the class builds a small building which is raised on the final day. This would go a long way toward giving you the skills to do a building on your own.

They also offer a 'build your own' class, where you get to take the building home with you. There are several options for building sizes. There is a substantial time commitment, of course, but Grand Marais is a beautiful town on Lake Superior, and the school is right on the harbor, next to the municipal campground.

Although I don't teach either of those classes, the instructors that do are first rate. They will teach you to use a variety of tools, from professional grade power tools to antique hand tools, and practical alternatives in between. Drop me a line if you'd like more info. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: timber frame schools #471 05/28/03 05:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Ron,

I attended the square rule (basic timber framing) class organized in conjunction with the Guild and Rocky Mountain Workshops in Pingree Park, Colorado, three years ago. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone starting out in timber framing. The instructors were excellent, the course length was just right (one week), and the location is simply exceptional (located at about 9000 feet in the Rocky Mountains). The course costs $660 (this year's price) - which is a heck of a bargain. That fee includes lodging in rustic cabins, instruction, and all meals. During the course, we cut and assembled a frame for a small cabin (16 x 16 foot, I think). There were about 10 or 12 students in the class, with three instructors - which was a good ratio (lots of help when you needed it, but enough "breathing space" to work without lots of interruptions. The three instructors (Will Beemer, Peter Haney, and Dave Carlon(?)) were incredibly knowledgeable and very friendly. It was truly inspiring to learn from such skilled teachers! Hope this info. helps you and anyone else looking for a good way to get started in timber framing.

Re: timber frame schools #472 05/28/03 10:18 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
In the spring of 2000, I took an introduction timber framing course at Fox Maple School in Maine.
The fall of that year, I took the traditional timber framing course taught by Jack Sobon and Dave Carlon, in western Mass.
I would recommend either of these courses for learning the basic skills needed.
If you intend to work with planed timbers the school in Maine is for you. If you intend to work with rough timber and do it using square rule joinery the other one teaches that.
There are lots of books out there and you can get them from the guild online store or summerbeambooks.com. She has a lot, also. Good luck with your project. Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: timber frame schools #473 06/03/03 07:17 PM
B
Brian Moore Offline
B
Ron you might want to check out Tillers. I believe they offer classes in MN. Their website is www.wmich.edu/tillers/home/index.htm I took one of their week long classes this spring and really enjoyed myself. I found Tillers to be an exceptional value as the class (1 week ) was under $400.00. All the staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. We had an Designer, an Architect, Michigan Barn Historian as well many volunteers that had many years of experience to draw from. If I had the time and could convince my Wife to let me I would be taking their Fall building class. My best advise to you is Ask the local Timber Frame Builder if there are any near you. Then go take a class and enjoy!

Re: timber frame schools #474 06/17/03 07:49 PM
A
ape of god Offline
A
I took the 1 week beginners course at Fox Maple back in '86. Great experience. If I were a younger less settled kind of guy, I'd have been up for an apprenticeship and or looking for a job. Anyway, Steve runs a good school,and has good people around him. Nice place to visit and learn. I stayed in a cabin about a mile or so up the road. The week cost me around $1100 including; tuition, rent for the cabin, food, and flight out of Chicago. Recommend Fox Maple.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users