Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Scribe rule vs Square rule #498 06/04/03 11:16 PM
K
Karl Mulac Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am at the point in the design process were I need to decide which method to use for my frame. The frame is a pre 16th century english frame in oak. I will be doing most of the work myself with some help from friends and a few framers with experience. I have a limited amount of time to build. The frame must be completed with in one year. I will be using a chain mortiser for this reason.I am leaning toward scribe rule for historical reasons. I was wondering if anyone had any preferences for one method over the other. What do you like or dislike. Any input that would give me a perspective from an experienced point of view would be appreciated.

Karl

Re: Scribe rule vs Square rule #499 06/07/03 02:41 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Your choice of method will depend on the conditions of the timber and the desired result. If your timber is rough sawn, with varying width but fairly square then the timber frame revival method of mapping may give you the desired look. Mapping can be considered a numerical scribe method, many framers have used mapping as their first method of framing before they knew of square rule or scribing. The basic idea of mapping is to record the depth and width of the timber at the joint and to adjust the length of the abutting timber. The more simple the plan, the easier the execution and fewer variables to track. You will need to scheme out the dependencies and the work order to be effective.
Braces are tricky in a mapped frame, you might find it easier to scribe the braces during fit up.

There are a large number of relevant articles on layout methods listed in the index for the journal here on the web site.

Re: Scribe rule vs Square rule #500 06/09/03 12:37 AM
K
Karl Mulac Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi Roger, The timbers will be rough sawn and quite fresh. I hope to have at least 12 weeks to season before I start to cut. Fortunately the building will not be occupied or heated in the winter months. You are the second person to mention mapping. I will have to look for some articles on this method. I Have read more about scribe rule and found it to be logical and I had no problem understanding the method.
Thanks
Karl

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users