Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
any square rule layout books available? #612 10/08/03 04:25 PM
G
gpalmer Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Are there any really great books out there covering the subject of square rule layout. Plan on attending a couple guild courses next year, but would like to start learning in the meantime. thanks, gpalmer

Re: any square rule layout books available? #613 10/09/03 12:06 PM
N
Norm Hart Offline
N
For my dollar (which is 75 cents US) you can't beat the two books by Jack Sobon for all aspects of traditional timber framing. His second book covers square rule in a more formal way. Also Will Beemer had a series of articles for the beginner timber framer in Timber Framing (Journal of the Timber Framers Guild). One of his series dealt with the various layout methods. Finally I believe Jack Sobon has written (possibly in the journal)something specifically about the square rule method. I remember seeing a reference to this but don't recall the particulars. I am new to this game and am sure you will get alot of good recommendations from others.

Norm

Re: any square rule layout books available? #614 10/09/03 12:31 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Both books that Norm mentioned are good books to read and use to understand "square rule" joinery.
They are available from the guild at the online store. If you go to the guild home page and click on the "Online Store" link then select "publications", they are there for you to buy.
Also another site is Summer Beam books here: Link to Summer Beam Books site and then select timber framing in the category section. The timber framing section will list a lot of books. One of them is:
THE SCRIBE RULE OR THE SQUARE RULE: TRADITIONAL TIMBER FRAME LAYOUT SYSTEMS
A discussion and explanation of the two methods of timber framing layout.
Pages 17
$6.00 spiral by Jack Sobon.
Enjoy your reading. Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users