Print Thread
Rate Thread
electric chainsaw? #8495 02/02/04 04:12 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline OP
OP Offline
M
hi
are there people out there using electric chainsaws? we are looking at buying one for a round log frame.....
we are looking at a makita and i'm just wondering if there are others who could give some experience on these tools
thanks
-Mark in Ontario.

Re: electric chainsaw? #8496 02/03/04 03:28 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Mark,

We use a Makita 16" electric chainsaw and I think it's a good tool. Well balanced. High chain speed is good for brushing but it can bog in hardwoods. We have ripped tenon cheeks in 12" wide oak with it, though. If I were working in the round, I would use it for all end cuts.

Good Luck,
Gabel Holder

Re: electric chainsaw? #8497 02/19/04 06:32 PM
M
Mikkel Johansen Offline
M
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Davidson:
hi
are there people out there using electric chainsaws? we are looking at buying one for a round log frame.....
we are looking at a makita and i'm just wondering if there are others who could give some experience on these tools
thanks
-Mark in Ontario.

Re: electric chainsaw? #8498 02/19/04 06:39 PM
M
Mikkel Johansen Offline
M
I have a 1800 W STIHL electric saw and use it on every project, round and square. It is great for roughcutting timbers to length out in the yard so you don't have to haul more into the shop than you need. It is great for slabcutting large dimensions and absolutely indispensable for round log work.
In my area there is the choice between STIHL and HUSKVARNA. I think that STIHL is the more rugged of the two, but HUSKVARNAs has a slimmer body and is better balanced. (you do better swordplay!)
1800w is plenty strong.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Davidson:
hi
thanks
-Mark in Ontario.

Re: electric chainsaw? #8499 02/19/04 07:01 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
I have just returned from Estonia where I found a bunch of cheerful elfin log-builders (working for an outfit aptly named Hobbiton Palkmajade Ehitus). They were all completely happy with the Husky 318, and continuously experimenting with different bar and chain combos.

This saw was configured for 220v in the European standard, which means no ground plug, either.

Wil Dancey, who lives in Ontario, has had good success running 220v euro tools in North America without modification.

Re: electric chainsaw? #8500 04/28/04 02:28 AM
T
TerryKing Offline
T
I use two low-cost Remington electric saws for a lot of barn and frame timber work. I have a series of jigs that hold the chainsaw nose in the correct position for cutoffs of 8x8 and 8x12 (and smaller) timbers. I have jigs that guide all the cuts for half-lap cuts in 8by8 inch timbers. I also use a roller-nose gas saw and special guide to plunge-cut the horizontal cut for a center-of-the-beam half-lap. The accuracy is very satisfactory for basic framing that's not also a living-room feature.
And its' fast. And it's, uh.. cheap. An $80 saw at Harbor Freight and homemade jigs = ShoeString Post and Beam (eventually trademark??) :-)

My apologies to the traditionalists, for whom I have great admiration. Works For Me...

Regards, Terry King
...In The Woods In Vermont
terry@terryking.us
Re: electric chainsaw? #8501 04/28/04 07:49 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline OP
OP Offline
M
we ended up buying the 16" makita
very handy tool, quite accurate for a chain saw.
i reach for it for most of the rough jobs now
unless the scoring axe is closer, that is.
-Mark.

Re: electric chainsaw? #8503 03/28/07 01:15 PM
daiku Offline
We have a Remington similar to Dereks, but it's a 3.0. You have to manually press the bulb to pump oil onto the chain. We also have the Makita 16", which oils automatically. The Mak must have a worm drive in it, as the motor is parallel to the bar. It's seems easier to use, and cuts better, but that could simply be the chain, which is newer. I agree with Gabel - it's well balanced. We mostly use it for hacking up scraps to give away as firewood. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: electric chainsaw? #8504 03/29/07 12:57 AM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
Mark
We use a Sthil here at the mill. Mainly for cutting log end square or to length.
One thing I have noticed is be sure you have the electrical juice to run it....amps at the outlet and a heavy extension cord. We have popped a few 15 amp fuses when working it on a big log 22"-26". Keep the chain sharp!
Bob

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users