Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Makita Mortiser Chain Service? #8551 05/06/04 10:22 PM
S
Stan Debick Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have a Makita Chain Mortiser with an 18mm chain. Last night, I hit a piece of barb wire that was embedded in a timber and broke off five teeth. I have a guy that can sharpen the chain, but he can't replace the broken teeth. They are all missing from one row on the forward surface of the chain. If I don't replace them, I can't use this chain any longer. I called Makita to buy links and pins. They told me that will not sell any pieces for the chain, nor will they offer any type of repair service. What's the deal here? They are basically saying that this chain is a throwaway item? I don't understand why I can get links for a twenty dollar Oregon brand chainsaw chain, but not for a $250 chain.

Does anyone know of a place where I can get this chain serviced? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Makita Mortiser Chain Service? #8552 05/06/04 11:35 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Years ago, at my chain saw repair shop, if I brought in a broken chain they would put a couple of other links in from another used or broken chain. The didn't like to put "new" links in as the chain was used and then the part of the chain that slides on the bar would be higher at the new part and therefore the chain would have a sort of hump in it as it traveled around the bar.
They didn't do that for very long and then they told us their insurance company wouldn't let them repair broken chains that way any more.
I don't know if that was just a way for them to sell us more chains or not. But after that I never got a broken chain repaired again.
But, since then, I can't remember ever breaking another chain. Now I mostly use them up.

For this reason, adding a new link to a used chain, could be the reason they won't repair any or sell you any repair links.

You could try and see if there is anyone who could weld or solder some new teeth onto your used chain. I don't know where you could get some new teeth either.

You might have to get a new chain as well as a metal detector for your timbers.

This barbed wire didn't show on any of the four faces of this timber?

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Makita Mortiser Chain Service? #8553 05/07/04 01:11 AM
S
Stan Debick Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Rogers:

You might have to get a new chain as well as a metal detector for your timbers.

This barbed wire didn't show on any of the four faces of this timber?

Jim Rogers
Jim,

After I hit the wire I did see it on one face of the timber. Very stupid mistake on my part. Fortunately, I do have a spare chain that came with the mortiser and I am now being extra cautious with it. I only have about ten more timbers for my house that require mortises. I hate, however to throw away a perfectly good chain for want of a few teeth. This chain is in like new condition otherwise.

I do have the teeth that came off the chain. I may see if I can have someone weld them back on the chain.

Re: Makita Mortiser Chain Service? #8554 05/07/04 04:38 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
a machine shop should be able to repair your chain, however it might cost you $250.
-Mark.

Re: Makita Mortiser Chain Service? #8555 07/14/04 04:47 AM
K
Kimberley Reagan Offline
K
Sharpener in Ohio, they have been refered by other TF companies, but we have not used them, we are looking for a solution in Canada.(if you know of one please let us know)

Gary Miller Sharpening
Alliance Ohio
(303) 821-6240

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users