Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Panel retrofitting--Makita 16" or Prazi? #8919 09/29/05 09:56 PM
R
RichardR Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am about to add a timberframe addition to my timberframe house, and at the same time replace most of the windows in the old house, which is wrapped in urethane panels. The latter task will require a lot of new cuts to frame different-sized windows. I'm wondering which tool you all would recommend for this, and whether the same tool is useful for new panel cuts, and perhaps even deep cuts on the timbers.

I'd be tempted by the Prazi attachment, but I'll be cutting through nail- and screw-embedded wood, so unless I get a carbide saw chain, that seems like a bad choice. Has anyone used the Prazi with such a chain, for such a purpose?

Ebay has some older Makita 16" saws, which seems like a good alternative, but I wonder about in-place cuts, as I would need to do to cut new window openings, especially the vertical cuts with a heavy saw. Has anybody done this?

Or should I do the window retrofits with a light circular saw and a sawzall, and do the new panels and beams the way I did them the first time around, with an 8" worm drive and a sharp saw?

Any advice most appreciated.

Re: Panel retrofitting--Makita 16" or Prazi? #8920 09/30/05 12:44 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Does replacing windows translate to removing existing lights and their embedded bucks in the panel walls ? Only caution would be to look out for stray electrical wiring. After removing exising bucks cutting the RO for the new bucks can be easily done with a combination of a Dremel plunge bit for the OSB or other panel enclosures and any convenient recip to remove residual foam. inletting the foam to house the new bucks behind the panel material can be done with any number of short stroke recips or even a utility knife. Do this carefully so the flat side of the new bucks is in contact with the foam.
Tedious but effective.
Work safe, have fun.

Re: Panel retrofitting--Makita 16" or Prazi? #8921 09/30/05 01:51 PM
R
RichardR Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Emmett wrote:
"cutting the RO for the new bucks can be easily done with a combination of a Dremel plunge bit for the OSB or other panel enclosures and any convenient recip to remove residual foam."

Aha--this is another option. My little Dremel is a pretty weak tool--is there some industrial-strength one? Perhaps a long plunge bit on my router would work as well? As for the foam, I figure with the new panel work, plus all the new window openings, I'll splurge for the custom grinder that Winter Panel sells, and then resell when I'm all done (a couple years from now...)

So, has anyone used a long router bit for cutting openings in panels? Or is the width of kerf too big and the flying mess too awful?

thanks, Richard

Re: Panel retrofitting--Makita 16" or Prazi? #8922 10/05/05 08:49 PM
D
David Bank Offline
D
Richard,

I have a Makita "Panel Router" I purchased from Winter Panel last year to enclose the frame my wife and I cut. Frame has been enclosed since February.

I am looking to pass the Panel Router on in this Tool Forum with the associated paddles for $375. I believe someone offered the same tool in the past in this forum for that amount.

I only operated the router on Panels that were laying on Saw Horses, not yet installed. Not really sure of the risks using it vertically.

The Paddles are not sharp like knives but they turn fast and have some force behind them.

Also, I have a Prazi Worm Drive attachment that I am finished with as well. It is lightly used since I did most cuts with a regular blade in the worm drive. Looking to pass it on for $100.

Both tools were purchased new and well cared for. Our frame is about 1300 sq feet.

Let me know if you have any interest or questions.

Thanks,

David

Re: Panel retrofitting--Makita 16" or Prazi? #8923 10/27/05 12:54 PM
P
Pete Ladd Offline
P
Richard,

Having a Makita and a Prazi in my toolkit, I would choose the Prazi. But only if the nails or screws are very few. The 16" circular saw would be a handful to use vertically, won't cut full depth in the corners, and blades are very expensive. In place of the Prazi, a conventional electric or gas chainsaw could work.

On the Fire Dept, we cut through nails and etc. in roofs and walls with a conventional (non-carbide) chainsaw. But it dulls severely if you hit more than a few nails, and must be laboriously resharpened. However, I believe carbide chain requires special equipment to resharpen.

Instead of a dremel how about a tool of the "roto-zip" type?

Maybe my bet would be to use a "sawzall" with a bi-metal demolition blade made for "embeded nails".

Good luck,

Pete

Re: Panel retrofitting--Makita 16" or Prazi? #8924 10/28/05 01:12 AM
Will Truax Offline
The most efficient tool I know of for cutting nice square window and door wells in panels is a chain saw fitted out with a “lumber maker” a readily available simple accessory which attaches to the bar, essentially a swivel and a piece of channel which is intended to ride a 2-by, marketed to be applied to a sawlog, but in this instance temp screwed to the wall / panel.

I’ve never done this as a retrofit, and like Pete suggests your challenge is avoiding fasteners, you have the additional layers of drywall (I’d remove to the line beforehand)and siding, both of which will make it harder to determine where the splines and their screws are hiding. Remove the old bucks (sawsall work-cut the nails) and the seams will be there to see.

Luck with it & be your best

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Panel retrofitting--Makita 16" or Prazi? #8925 10/29/05 11:32 PM
R
RichardR Offline OP
OP Offline
R
thank you all for your advice.

David Bank, please send me contact info at rrobinson@nasw.org. I'd be interested in talking about those tools.

Regarding the lumbermaker, I actually have one, bought to make some rough beams for my beamery, in which I cut the frame for my house. Perhaps a carbide blade for my chain saw, mounted on the lumbermaker, would be worth a try.

BTW, I just rented a Makita to rip a beam, and learned just from hefting it I didn't want to use it vertically!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users