Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Opinions on Protool Mortiser and Saws #8943 10/18/05 03:54 AM
T
Tyson Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have seen many questions about Makita and Mafell, and have used both but would like feedback on how the Protool products are percieved by the Timberframing Community.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Opinions on Protool Mortiser and Saws #8944 10/19/05 04:44 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
I'm not sure what I have to offer on this subject will be useful to you as I have almost no hands on time with any chain mortiser (exactly one mortise with a Mafel at Heartwood School).
I did stop and take a look at the Protool this past weekend at the eastern conference. Fit and finish looked good, the design is similiar to the Mafel. I didn't spend much time or ask about setup and operation so I can't comment on ease of use etc.

Perhaps a Google search will lead you to a review... If you do decide to go Protool I'm sure that a number of people who follow this board would appreciate hearing from you on how it works out.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Opinions on Protool Mortiser and Saws #8945 10/19/05 06:09 PM
T
Tyson Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I actually bought one of the Protool CMP150 Mortisers and the CSP85 after stopping by Timberwolf Tools. They were getting ready for the eastern conference so I got to try the Mortiser. I made this post after a friend of mine gave me a hard time for not buying Mafell. I really liked the feel and the quality that I observed with the Protool equipment, but was hoping for feedback. I guess I should have got opinions before I bought them but Timberwolf was actually raising their prices for the new catalog that day so I wanted to save a few hundred dollars where possible. I'd just like to hear if people are happy with their Protool equipment.

Re: Opinions on Protool Mortiser and Saws #8946 02/15/07 11:37 PM
M
mark anthony Offline
M
Tyson or anybody else,

How does the protool mortiser compare to the mafell? How about saws? I'm giving some consideration to a purchase and want to look at all the options. Thanks!

Re: Opinions on Protool Mortiser and Saws #8947 02/16/07 01:06 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
I do not own any of the new Protool ( Holzher before) machines. But I have used them in the past. They would run every day. Work just as well and reliable as the Mafell for about the same money. The portable band saw is lightweight but does not work as well as the Mafell though.
I think you will be happy with the purchase.

Re: Opinions on Protool Mortiser and Saws #8948 02/16/07 04:24 AM
mo Offline
Haven't used a Protool.

The other tools. How deep to you like to cut your mortise beyond the tenon length? 1/4", 1/2", ?

Both tools have to plunge with a circular finish (chain mortisers). Mafell cuts against the timber. Makita cuts with the timber. I guess some people mortise where it does not require any chisel "cleaning", others prefer to do so. If you like to use the minimum depth, it seems like the Makita works most efficient because you only have to clean up the ends. Mafell, the opposite.

Makita requires, more set up time and transition time. Mafell does not. Makita you can cut a 45 if savy, (someone showed me that)

Damn it, Protools Mo! Sorry Tyson.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users