Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Using router for housings ?? #9140 08/07/06 08:08 PM
T
topshelf Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I only see a couple of posts on cutting housings with a router. Can anyone recomment the best manufacturer and also the size and depth of bit I would need to cut full width housings on an 8x8 timber? I have seen reference to 1 1/2 inch diameter bits with top bearing. Would a smaller one be better but just take more time?

Re: Using router for housings ?? #9141 08/07/06 09:49 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I have used several different arrangements for cutting housings with a router and my conclusion is that I hate using routers to cut housings. They are too noisy, too dusty, produce too much vibration, and are too difficult to control. I know that some people are very skilled with a router, and that is fine, but I have seen more ugly mistakes from a router than from any other tool. And did I mention the noise and dust?

In our yard, open housings get kerfed with a skilsaw or chopped with an axe depending on how regular the stock is. If the depth of the housing varies by more than about 1/8 or 3/16 I find it faster to chop it out with an axe. Usually the back of the housing gets plunged and sawn with a skilsaw to establish that line, again unless the depth varies greatly across the housing. In my opinion, this is much faster than using a router.

That being said, we occasionally use a router and template when we have a closed housing with a flat bottom. But we have adjusted our joinery to where that is very rare now. When it comes up, I use a top bearing bit and a template. I have a few different diameters, from 3/4" to 1 1/4" which I choose based on hardwood/softwood and depth I need to reach. The length of carbide is 1", I think.

The brand of router I can't really say, other than I don't recommend the cheap hitachi. You need at least 3 horsepower as well as very good hearing/dust/eye protection. If we used routers more than only occasionally, I would get one of those darth vader helmets that have a face shield and a constant fresh air supply.

I guess I have made it clear that I think using a router for housings is an unhealthy and mistake prone technique(yes, even with the templates). And I just find it unpleasant.

I would love to hear other people's take on this.

Cheers,

GH

Re: Using router for housings ?? #9142 08/08/06 04:01 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
I'm cheering you on, Gabel.
chopping out housings can be very fast, no templates to figure out, your layout time becomes your setup time... I use the adze(short handled) to chop out where you are using the axe. However, since I took up teaching I've realized that the hand tools are not for everyone and also I've realized that starting into chopping an 8x8 can be intimidating. You need to practice a while before you get fast. A suggestion I would make to someone interested in using hand tools rather than the dusty, loud and expensive to run electic tools is this: Take the price of your power tool and convert it to hours of pay, spend that time practicing housings on waste timber, preferably after watching an experienced person work the adze or axe. Then see if hand tools are fast and accurate enough for you.
A side benefit of using these tools is that you gain strength and vitality, which can be used in the evening(wink) and eye hand co-ordination, which can be used on the playing field...

as far as answering the question, I'd buy the cheapest router to start with... wear it out and then you'll know what you want in a more expensive router. I made a template from birch plywood and used upside down cariage bolts through nuts welded on angle as levelers. half or three quarter bit is PLENTY imo.

Re: Using router for housings ?? #9143 08/08/06 04:37 AM
T
topshelf Offline OP
OP Offline
T
OK so if I was going to give it a goby hand what about just using a 1-1/2" framing chisel?

On the router bit when you say 1/2 to 3/4" is plenty are you talking about diameter or depth. I see that many of the bits sold online show the carbide being only 3/4 to 1" high. It seems like a larger bit would level out better but take more horses. ANy further detail on the router bits would be appreciated.

So how long does it take an experienced guy to cut an 8x8 open housing where a beam joins a post?

Re: Using router for housings ?? #9144 08/08/06 11:09 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
topshelf,

As far as just using a chisel, that would be pretty slow and could be hard on the body. The chisel isn't very efficient for that kind of bulk wood removal. I haven't used an adze as Mark is talking about, but it only took me chopping a few housings to get comfortable with my axe. Don't forget to saw the top and bottom line to full depth before chopping.

If you are going to use power tools, a circular saw set to the corect depth, cutting across the grain at 1/4" intervals, followed by a hammer/mallet/axe to knock the chips loose, and then finished with your chisel is fast. There is no setup time for this method (other than setting the depth of your saw).
In my experience, Mark is right on. It takes a short time to develop some skill with the hand tools, but you often find they are still efficient for a lot of what we do. That learning curve discourages a lot of people and they never develolp that skill. If you do (or already have) you will never regret it.

I always feel like I have a wolf by the ears when I am running a router.

I feel like I might be telling you stuff you already know, I would love to hear a little about you and your project.

As far as how long to cut a housing -- it depends, but a few years back, we had a series of races in our shop: router and template vs. axe and chisel. The axe and chisel won consistently by a small margin, and that didn't include the time it took to make the template. That is when we put the routers up for the most part. You only get faster with the hand tools.

Cheers,

GH

Re: Using router for housings ?? #9145 08/08/06 02:11 PM
D
Dan Miller Offline
D
I've always just used the framing chisel to cut the housings. Mostly just because it's already in my hand when I've finished the mortice. I don't find it to be all that slow, but neither am I working commercially, and all my timbers but the sills are softwoods.

Cheers,
Dan

Re: Using router for housings ?? #9146 08/08/06 02:16 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
if cutting using the method Gabel suggests, by scoring the top and bottom lines with the circular and scoring in between, then banging out the waste and finishing with a sharp(if not sharp, add another ten minutes) chisel, you should be done in 10 minutes or less(pine). I like what Gabel says about the hand tools just get faster as you become more comfortable with them, I would add that they also give you more and more fun.
if you want to remove waste fast by hand, you need something like an adze or an axe that you can swing like a baseball bat. I hit the timber quite hard when working strickly by hand in our courses.

I meant a 1/2 or 3/4 diameter bit... we were working through a 1" deep blind housing in about 3 passes, so a depth of 1/4 to 1/2.
I'm sure you could go faster with more hp, just be ready to hang on tight. no trouble with level on the 1/2" bit, and the inside of the housing is unseen anyways.
Daiku did some posts on a very cool router jig that he made... you should search it out, there are some good pics.

Re: Using router for housings ?? #9147 08/09/06 12:35 AM
daiku Offline
Although the housing router Mark mentioned worked pretty well, and was safe and accurate, it was also heavy and slow. We've found that a custom template for each housing shape is pretty easy to make, and actually faster to cut with. Here are 2 videos that show one of the templates being used in our shop:

The first one is the actual routing . Note that he's taking several passes, going a little deeper each time. There's a depth stop set for the final pass. Note also that he's only routing around the perimeter of the housing.

The second video shows cleaning up the housing with chisels. Note that each step took less than a minute.

Take a close look at how simple the template is. The base of the router just runs up against the wall of the template. There's a fence that hangs over the edge of the timber, which positions the template. The fence is longer than the template is wide, so it can be used to clamp the template to the timber. We're just using a 1" straight bit - no bearing - nothing fancy.

PS: I made the videos with my cell phone. You can play them with quicktime.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Using router for housings ?? #9148 08/09/06 12:54 AM
T
topshelf Offline OP
OP Offline
T
First of all I want to thank everyone that replied so far but especially Daiku. I had seen your fancy jig on another site and thought it was overkill for what I needed. You guys are obviously all good at what you do and all have your preferred method.

Daiku,
On your router templates do you just use 3/4 plywood and oversize to account for the router base? Or are you using a multi tiered template with a top bearing bit? I was also thinking of trying to cut the center with the router as mine are only 1/2" deep. Or would it be easier to knock the center out with a chisel even at that depth? Also what type of clamps are you using?

Re: Using router for housings ?? #9149 08/09/06 02:08 PM
daiku Offline
Here's a crummy little cell phone photo of a template , just after the housing was cut. The base is just 1/8" hardboard, and the walls are 1x1 maple (whatever you have laying around). The fence is about 2x2, and is a little longer than the template on each end for clamping. Always clamp to the reference face, of course. We do not use a top bearing bit. The base of the router runs along the walls of the template. We use 1" diameter router bits, that are 1-1/2" or 2" long - easy to sharpen, as you don't have to fuss with the bearing. We do cut out the center of the template using the router. The clamps are Irwin Quick Grip. We like those bacause the sides pop off so that you can blow out the sawdust that can accumulate in there and jam the mechanism (other brands are glued together). As someone is sure to point out, the templates are specific to one diamter of router bit and one size of router base, in our case, the 3HP model from Makita (3612). We have 3 in our shop. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users