Print Thread
Rate Thread
Visiting Japan #812 02/23/04 05:33 PM
J
James O'Kelley Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi all,

I am planning a visit to Japan this spring, and am starting to plan my itinerary. I was wondering if anyone could suggest spots I should try to visit that would be interesting from an architectural/ structural/ timberframing perspective. Even better, I was hoping to visit and observe some of the excellant woodworking craftsman there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Visiting Japan #813 04/29/04 07:14 PM
T
Timberbee Offline
T
When I visited Japan, a couple of years ago, I was astounded by the huge number of traditional structures that were scattered, well, practicaly everywhere.

I stayed mainly in, and around Tokoyo -- Central Honshu. and visited temples and shrines of all sizes, as well as having the opportunity, along with about 10,000 other people!!!, to visit the Emporer's Palace and view the Royal Family from a distance (A sometimes Annual Event).

A Great Majority of the smaller shrines are completely accessible, and scattered throughout the vast neighborhoods.

I spent a bit over three weeks in Japan, and one in Hong Kong, as was never for want of viewing traditional architecture, even though I rarely went out into the Country side.

I was also very lucky that my Fiance (at the time) spoke Japanese fairly well and was able to make heads and tails of the Subway system laugh

A truely fantastic city, and wonderous Country.

One tip, The Nation is filled with Craftspeople, and friendships were often struck up by merely showing true interest -- using one's eyes more than one's mouth (something I am not well known for) -- and by the willingness to see beauty in all things, and in all walks of life.

I hope you have a great time, and, (!!!) Don't overlook the vending machines and the Chinese Noodle Soup Shops!

Tim Berube

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users