Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
timberframe books #11240 04/25/07 09:10 PM
M
michael salbego Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi there I am very interested in timberframing and have a few book. They are all great, what I am wondering is if there is a book out there that anyone knows of that is step by step in guiding you through the individual joints.

Re: timberframe books [Re: michael salbego] #11242 04/25/07 09:45 PM
G
Griffon Offline
G
Ted Bensons 'Building the Timber Frame House' is my reference with joint by joint discussion and technical detail.

I just wish I had same in metric; is the States scheduled to modernise (sorry modernize) soon? grin

Time is an ocean but it stops at the shore Bob Dylan
Re: timberframe books [Re: Griffon] #11244 04/26/07 12:22 AM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Michael:
If you go to the guild home page and click on the link to the online store you'll find lots of books in the publications section.
Try there for books about timber framing.
Ted's book is good for showing what order to make the cuts to create the joint.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: timberframe books [Re: Griffon] #11247 04/26/07 01:54 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Griffon
I just wish I had same in metric; is the States scheduled to modernise (sorry modernize) soon? grin

Jeezzz...Canada went metric in, what, 1974 or something - and we still can't conform to any standard!
I've got two tapes, imperial and metric; road signs are in KMs, but local hand made ones are often still in miles; I don't understand Fahrenheit, but use cups and tsps when cooking; large weights are measured in pounds, but smaller ones in grams; and I spent all morning driving around the Kootenays today trying to find anyone who supplies metric hydraulic fittings...turns out the closest ones are about 8 hrs away. AAArrrrgggghhhh!!!!!
I guess I won't be running that machine for a little while....
It's a mosaic of measurements!
Advice to the States: If you're thinking of conforming to the rest of the world by changing to metric, actually do it. wink

Re: timberframe books [Re: Timber Goddess] #11251 04/26/07 01:14 PM
daiku Offline
I agree that Benson (I) is really good. Some of the tenons he shows are too short from an engineering standpoint, though. Also, download the guild's series of articles on historic american joinery. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: timberframe books [Re: daiku] #11254 04/26/07 02:29 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
As Clark has mentioned that series shows a lot of good joints. But it really doesn't show step by step of how to cut the joint.

I did create some step by step "how to" stories and posted them on the forestry forum in the timber framing section as it was easier to post pictures there, at that time.
I could move or copy them over here or you can check out two stories at:
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6403.0
and
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=7646.0

That should help you to get started....
If you have some specific joints you need help with understanding please post the question and I'm sure someone here, or I will help you to understand the order in which you make the cuts.
(Some people may do the same joint in a different order, depending on how they were taught, or how they learned.)
It really shouldn't matter as long as it comes out right....

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: timberframe books [Re: Jim Rogers] #11267 04/27/07 02:16 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Jim Rogers

(Some people may do the same joint in a different order, depending on how they were taught, or how they learned.)
It really shouldn't matter as long as it comes out right....

Jim Rogers

Now that's what I love about Timber Framing!
When you have that timber in front of you that needs a particular cut, and you take about an hour to go over all the many ways that you can approach it...and as you do that, at least three others will join you in your contemplation to add their ideas, "Well, you could make that first cut there and then use the router...", "If you cut that first you won't be able to rest your saw on the timber...", "Why don't you just take that line..."
Ya. You know what I'm talking about.
I love it! smile

Re: timberframe books [Re: Timber Goddess] #11286 04/28/07 04:36 AM
Z
Zach LaPerriere Offline
Z
HI Michael,

I really like the book A Timberframer's Workshop, by Steve Chappell. He goes through joints and where to put them. He puts a strong emphasis on math and cutting things right the first time. I like Benson's first couple books and Jack Sobon is great, too. But for me, as a real neophyte, I've gotten the most out of Chappell's book. The trig section didn't quite explain it for me the first time, but with a little help, I figured it out and have come to like trig, even depend on it.
There are a number of great books, and in the absence of great teachers, several books are good for differing perspectives. Happy reading.

Zach

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users