Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oiling timbers to slow drying and minimize checking #925 05/10/04 08:12 PM
J
Jeff Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I know this question has come up in the past on this forum and I appologize for the repetition, however, my search of past posts did not really answer my questions.

I have taken delivery of rough sawn 8"x8" eastern Pine timbers for my upcomming timber frame Barn project. The timbers are stored outdoors under cover, stacked and stickered per recommendations from previous post topic.

The question is:

Will application of a Linseed oil/Turpentine mix slow moisture loss and reduce checking in these Pine timbers? What are the +'s and -'s ?

If this is benifical then my thought is to apply the oil mix to the timbers after cutting the joints and prior to putting them back in storage while they are awaiting raising day.

Re: Oiling timbers to slow drying and minimize checking #926 05/11/04 01:04 PM
S
Shaun Garvey Offline
S
Jeff,

I very recently treated the ends of some freshly cut Red Oak timbers with linseed oil. My timbers are covered, but unfortunitely, not hiding from the sun as well as I would like them to. Despite receving direct sunlight on the treated ends, they have yet to check in the least little bit.

I'd say it works quite well.

It seems reasonable to me, that if you plan to store the timbers for a prolonged peroid and they may receive sun exposure, to treat them again after cutting in the joints.

Shaun

Shaun Garvey
berkshirebarns.com
Dalton, MA
Re: Oiling timbers to slow drying and minimize checking #927 05/11/04 03:12 PM
J
Jeff Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The ends of my timbers have been treated with Anchor seal and is performing well at reducing checking at the ends. They are however starting to check a little on the sides.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users