Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grindverk construction question #12504 08/08/07 12:26 PM
J
Jesse Frank Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi all,

I was wondering what you all thought of this style of construction.
I'm vacillating between this and a Sobon style building. I like the idea of the grindverk, because I specialize in making norse metalwork, but the Sobon shed joinery looks stronger... what do you all think?

neat grindverk page

Thanks,
Jesse

Re: Grindverk construction question [Re: Jesse Frank] #12505 08/08/07 01:00 PM
daiku Offline
Well, that's fascinating. I'm of scandinavian heritage, and I'm vaguely familiar with Stave Churches, as there's a reproduction in my home town, but I've never seen any details like this. I especially like the drawing at the bottom of the page that details their version of the tying joint. There are so many traditions to draw upon! As to which is better? Well, that depends on whaat you mean by "better".... CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Grindverk construction question [Re: ] #12510 08/09/07 03:11 AM
P
Pegs 1 Offline
P
I may need to be slapped but I look at the "grindverk" link pics....With all of the TREES in the background....then look at the structures with all the "branches"/skrabands....and then I just get ....HUH? I mean....somebody obviously had a saw to cut the majority of the frame.....Whats up with the branches?

Mike and Karl
Timber Frame Builders, LLC
Up North Minnesota
http://www.timberframe.bz
Re: Grindverk construction question [Re: Pegs 1] #12512 08/09/07 10:26 PM
J
Jesse Frank Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks guys... I think you're right, Derek. It's a good idea to start with the Sobon shed.

I think the branches for braces are a throwback to the 16th century or so. Apparently there was a movement of sorts to make the braces on these things to work the same way a tree does in nature, unless I'm mistaken.

Re: Grindverk construction question [Re: ] #12528 08/13/07 01:30 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
That's a frickin' awesome site!
Right up my alley!
Now I'm intrigued.... cool

Re: Grindverk construction question [Re: Timber Goddess] #27792 12/16/11 01:43 PM
H
Housewright Offline
H
I became intrigued with grindverk a while ago and have found some great information...in Norwegian! I realize not many of us can read Norwegian but the photos and illustrations in the following links are worth several thousand English words.

Their are lots of photos online, too. Check out the joist hanger at the bottom of this page (which is not unique to this frame but I do not know how widespread this feature is): http://www.miljolare.no/data/ut/album/?al_id=8617

The word grind in Norwegian is typically translated as a trestle, as in an assembly of pieces so in our terminology it could be translated as our fundamental word bent so grindverk means "bent work" but is usually translated to English as "trestle frame" construction.

What makes grindverk very important in the history of carpentry is that excavated remains of a building from about 3,500 years ago have similar joinery so this type of framing represents a very ancient style, from long before the Vikings heyday. Also, it is the only distinct style of framing I know of which does not require a single mortise and tenon joint! If their is a sill the posts are lapped or forked onto the sill, although their may be examples of posts tenoned to a sill too. Some Norwegian work has rafters tenoned into a tie beam but not in grindverk, the rafters seem to use step-lap type joints.

Look at the post/plate/tie beam connection. This slotted work is an ancient form. The only style of slotted post-top which made it to America are in Pennsylvania and suroundings and are sometimes called a head and neck joint, the Dutch call it a kopbalkgebint which I translate as a "head beam bent". This joint is illustrated on page 262 of The Pennsylvania barn: its origin, evolution, and distribution in North America.

I recommend the book Beresystem I Eldre Norske Hus (ISBN 978-82-519-2469-6)for anyone who is seriously interested in Norwegian historic carpentry. Also, their is at least one book just on grindverk which is:
Herfindal, Kåre; Grindbygningen - Innføring i ein byggjeteknikk, Norges Husflidslag/Vestnorsk Kulturakademi 2004, ISBN 82-91195-26-9

Good luck with the translating!

Here's a link to a free publication on grindwerk, loaded with photos and drawings, that I mentioned in the first paragraph:

http://www.niku.no/filestore/Publikasjoner/NIKUTemahefte34.pdf

Happy trails;
Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Grindverk construction question [Re: Housewright] #27799 12/18/11 11:00 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Wow,

I wish I could read Norwegian - especially to discover what those triangular empty mortices are all about - raking braces ?

The book is wizard and provides a great insight into this method of construction by providing many different examples of this form of timber-framing.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Grindverk construction question [Re: Ken Hume] #27863 01/01/12 04:42 PM
H
Housewright Offline
H
Hi Ken;

Yes, I believe the triangular scotches are for bracing.

If anyone knows of other good books on Scandinavian framing, particularly which include barns since the above mentioned book focuses on houses, I would like to know about them. The do not need to be in English if they are heavily illustrated.

Thanks;
Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users