Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anchor Post to Basement #12655 08/25/07 03:52 AM
B
bluegrasswille Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have a question on anchoring my post to my basement.

I already have my floor joist and sub-flooring in place, I was going to have steel plate sitting of the floor with a steel rod (prob. 1"diaX18"length) going through my flooring down anchored to the foundation, and a steel plate attached to my post. Once in place, just weld the two plates together. There will be blocking under the post also (Would kiln dried 2x10 work?) Do you have any other suggestions or concerns?
I already have my anchor plates for the bottom of timbers.
I'm trying to make this as easy process as possible while the timbers are being set.

Thanks

Re: Anchor Post to Basement [Re: bluegrasswille] #12699 08/31/07 12:09 AM
T
Thomas-in-Kentucky Offline
T
Sounds like a pretty clever solution. If you have the technology, then welding can work for you. I wouldn't think you would necessarily need blocking under the post, but it could come in handy for getting the height exactly right.

I used a plasma cutter to punch holes in my stainless post straps, once I discovered that you can't drill holes thru 3/16 stainless very easily! I have a few scorch marks on my post bottoms. (OK, I admit, some were on fire for a brief moment.) In short, be careful welding next to your timbers. They can catch on fire, but they'll probably self-extinguish. smile

Do you play bluegrass or just like to listen to it?

-Thomas (in the bluegrass state)

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users