Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Opinion on what next..... beginner project? #12901 09/22/07 09:10 PM
mikehailey Offline OP
OP Offline
I have never posted before, but have been lurking for the past 6 months or so. I am totally new to Timber framing, but hopefully by sharing your forum, and many other books, and internet sites I have at least a clue. crazy

I and a friend have plans to attend a workshop next year, but between then and now I need to make some decisions that really can't wait till I attend the school.

Here is my dilemma:

I need your expert opinion or which project I should attempt first.

The first is basically a cabin much like Sobon's book, or my other option is I have a 24X32 with 13 1/2' ceiling downstairs garage that I want to turn into a kitchen dining area, and it will eventually attach to a timber framed addition which will be a gathering room, and master bedroom. I would like to mimic timber frame inside the room to make it compatible with the future addition?

This has gotten really long.... But basically which is easier? A freestanding small cabin, or to fill out an interior space to make it look somewhat like it was timber framed.

Siketi
Re: Opinion on what next..... beginner project? [Re: ] #12907 09/23/07 12:41 PM
mikehailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Ouch! I was afraid that was what some might say. I have been thinking about layout and erecting inside an existing room, and it does have it's own problems. i.e.; how do you run simulated corner posts to the ceiling. Luckily I am going to drop the ceiling, and raise the floor some anyway. The current ceiling is 13 1/2' from the concrete slab. The garage was originally designed for boat storage.

There are positives though, one of which is not having to deal with the rain, which is a huge consideration here in Southeast Alaska.

By the way I am thinking everything will be Yellow Cedar, with hemlock flooring, and ceiling. " It's nice to live in a rainforest sometimes"...

I need to start collecting my timber soon. I have plenty of clear hemlock already on the ground for the ceiling and floor of the cabin and kitchen, but will need to start arranging for what size beams etc; of the cedar.

Mike

Siketi
Re: Opinion on what next..... beginner project? [Re: ] #12910 09/24/07 12:05 AM
mikehailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Great comments. Let me see if I can figure out how to post a picture.

Here is a Jpeg of the existing garage area: I figure bents for both ends, and one somewhat in the middle between the two front windows. I am thinking 8X8 posts.

www.siketi.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pre_existing.JPG

Please let me know if you can see it? I am really interested in why you say "I think turning a non TF into a TF could be the hardest thing to do in TFing."

Thanks
Mike

Siketi
Re: Opinion on what next..... beginner project? [Re: mikehailey] #12919 09/25/07 12:59 AM
T
Tyson Offline
T
Mike,
Do you have covered space to cut timbers? If so I would go with the cabin. My first frame was a two story 16x24 out of Sitka Spruce I got from Icy Straits Lumber in Hoonah. It is actually on their website, bottom frame in the top picture http://www.alaskawoodproducts.com/timberframestructures.html

After handling local hemlock I love Sitka Spruce, and if you have an abundance of cedar it is easier to move around alone than hemlock.
I ended up adding a 20x24 living room/kitchen and 10x16 entryway to that frame for a whole timberframe house. It was going to be a cabin but we liked it so much we decided to turn it into our house. There is a 16x24 basement with 10' ceilings under the original frame that we just finished out with birch trim and hardwood stairs (not trying to make it look like it is timberframe) and it goes quite well with the rest of the house.

I'd go with the cabin first, you will learn a lot from it without getting too overwhelmed plus get a bunch of ideas for the next one along the way. I started small and now I can't stop!

Feel free to email me if I can be any help.
Tyson

Re: Opinion on what next..... beginner project? [Re: Tyson] #12920 09/25/07 01:43 AM
mo Offline
"I think turning a non TF into a TF could be the hardest thing to do in TFing."

I think that Derek probably is talking about a timber frame as opposed to a trimber frame. It is very hard to produce a timber frame that does not act as the frame. In short it is not the structure. If I were you I would go with cabin as well. You will learn more than just placing timbers with big screws. And it is more fun. I have done both. Good luck with your project, and ask questions there are always informative answers around here, that are not necessarily the same. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Mo

Re: Opinion on what next..... beginner project? [Re: ] #12922 09/25/07 02:49 AM
mo Offline
I like "hanging furniture". Well put.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users