Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Structure of my Business questions #941 05/18/04 05:45 PM
C
Chuck Brainerd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am trying to start a new 2 man frame shop. I have built my home, read everything written on timber frames, attended guild workshops, raisings, and a conference. I have my engineering liscence and my partner is a skilled finish carpenter. My problem is, I can't get a general Contractor's liscence here in my state. The state says I can design and engineer the frame. They also will allow me to cut it, but I can't raise it w/o a general liscence. I know people are bringing in crews to raise frames from out of state who do not have in state general liscences. How are they doing it? Is there a way I can structure my business to cut and raise the frames. It doesn't seem to matter if the house has a general according to the state.

Re: Structure of my Business questions #942 05/19/04 12:11 AM
daiku Offline
Hi Chuck.

Here in Minnesota, I find that I do not need a GC license, as I'm only doing one specialty: framing. Apparently the rules are different in your state. Also, how big a deal is it to get the license? I thought you just paid for the class that teaches you how to pass the exam, and then pay to take the exam. Good luck to you. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Structure of my Business questions #943 05/19/04 03:39 PM
C
Chuck Brainerd Offline OP
OP Offline
C
thanks for the response.

Here in Utah you need to have worked for a liscenced general for 4 years before you can take the test, no exceptions. Also, the state requires a GC to raise a frame even if there is another GC on the permit.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users