Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 21 of 136 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #15151 04/18/08 01:14 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N

This is the unclad frame of the driveshed by the grist mill at UCV. We have just finished a weekend of raising the driveshed and are caught up in the upper level before we came down. That is yours truly on the left side.

You will also notice that there is no small barn yet, (previous posts) It will come in the next years planning.

NH

Last edited by northern hewer; 04/18/08 01:18 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #15153 04/18/08 11:54 PM
G
gregk Offline
G
NH,

Please tell me why there are two horizontal beams only 3 to 4 feet apart. The one your feet are on and the one you are leaning on. i have seen this in old barns and just don't understand why you would spend that much time/money for what seems like a small extension of height.

Greg
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: gregk] #15155 04/19/08 12:41 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi Greg:

Thanks for opening up with a good question, shows you are careful observer.

I wondered if anyone would pick that feature out, When most people think of drivesheds, you might in your minds eye think of drivsheds similar to say those that appeared by churches their only role was to shelter the horses during a church service.

In reality there were many other types of drivesheds, we have 4 different kinds in different areas of the UCV's historic zone, 2 of which I helped reconstruct during my time there,

This driveshed was chosen for reproduction because of its unusual heavy framing members, and of course it exceptional framing details.

The inset horizontal tie beam in each end of the building that you are referring to, would seem to many to be unnecessary, but in reality it is on the same level as the other 2 centre tie beams, and was there to accept a complete floor covering stretching from one end of the building to the other. This area was sometimes used to store hay, and at times being that it was a driveshed associated with a grist mill, used to store grain in large bins, and maybe bags, barrels, or any other item necessary to keep the mill running.

These bents were exceptionally heavy to raise, and we enlisted the help of a gin pole and pulley blocks that had been used to move buildings with, and that were in storage.

We were able to hoist 3 bents from one setting of the gin pole, and then to hoist the 4th bent we had to reposition the gin to the opposite end and lift the last bent in reverse to the others.

I will be posting some good shots of the gin pole in the next short while.

Thanks again for posting the question I hope everyone enjoyed learning alittle something about drivesheds. I could describe further many other types but only if there is an interest.

Thanks again Greg(k)

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #15156 04/19/08 12:57 AM
N
OP Offline
N

Hi everyone

Here is a good view of the gin pole in operation during the raising of the driveshed, hope you enjoy because I well remember each year the culmination of our full year's work right through some of the hottest days. This was labour day, and everything went as scheduled.

One thing that I din't mention was the 2 front centre posts were not on plates but rather just on large flat stones set as closely to the right elevation as possible. That made them longer than the 2 outside posts, and when framing them one had to remember the difference in length.

NH

Last edited by northern hewer; 04/19/08 01:03 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #15158 04/19/08 01:02 AM
G
gregk Offline
G
Thanks for the explaination. So if I was inside this structure, I would not see the two levels as I do on the outer wall? Only the lower level that is at your feet?

Greg
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: gregk] #15160 04/19/08 01:13 AM
G
gregk Offline
G
NH,

Lookin at this thing more closely now. So it is "floating" on the ground? No foundation? Great pictures by the way..So happy u figured that out. I am at Penn State University right now with my youngest. We are going to watch the spring football scrimmage in the morning. Paterno, and I quote " never sent an e-mail, never read one, never touched a computer. Does not have a cell phone". He finds it difficult to keep up with "recruiting".

Greg
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: gregk] #15161 04/19/08 01:14 AM
CarlosCabanas Offline
I would love to see more pics of the gin pole!! Do you need a crane to get the gin pole up!! haha Seriously how do you get the gin pole up? Looks like a feat in itself!!

Carlos

I cut it twice, and it's still too short!!
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: CarlosCabanas] #15163 04/19/08 01:01 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
One way to raise a gin pole is with a "raising" pole:

It depends on the size of the gin pole how it's raised.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #15164 04/19/08 02:19 PM
CarlosCabanas Offline

Northern Hewer

Did you set that bent up off the ground, on the timbers that are on the sawhorses?? And if so... why?

It looks like there are two ropes holding the bent down?? Are there lines from the top of the bents back towards the sawhorse??? And again... why??

Also how do you keep the bottom of the gin pole from kicking out? Is it dug in or tied to something?

Jim

Thanks for the picture of the gin pole raising. Makes sense.

Carlos

I cut it twice, and it's still too short!!
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: CarlosCabanas] #15167 04/19/08 04:41 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
When I made my gin pole, I made it with a large timber base, like an upside down T with braces:

This way the bottom is heavy and some what stable from left to right. And it provides a lot of surface area to bear on the ground/frame deck, if erected inside the frame.
I learned this from Jack Sobon, and also saw it in a book by Richard Babcock.

If you aren't going to make yours with a large base then yes, you have to secure the base so that it won't slide out on you when you raise it.

Some people do dig a hole.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Page 21 of 136 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users