Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #34648 03/31/19 01:56 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight,

Thanks for all your help--the pipe suggestion sounds intriguing
I believe I will try that route first and see what happens

I was thinking of heating up a piece of good high carbon tool steel and then quenching it in water to obtain a really tough cutting edge

You know back a few years ago I had to produce a cone shaped bearing for the grist mill,s grinding stone to spin on

This stones weighs approx. 1000 lbs and spins at about 125 rpm

it took 2 tries but in the end the machinist produced one that has stood the wear now since 1984 and still going

He used a high carbon steel blank to create the cone shape and then fired it to a very high temperature, he then immersed it in a cool liquid I believe water or oil and told me not to drop it or it would shatter like glass it was so hard

Just food for thought--this bearing also had a turned mate for it to sit in, and it sat in a cast iron box about 4 inches square there is about a cup of oil for lubrication- the spinning cone being so hard produces no noticeable frictional heat and needs very little attention

You see we don't need carbide just good knowledge of metal to produce hardness, it was this process that was in the back of my mind

Anyway I am going to use your suggestion first and then go from there

Always yours
Richard--NH--

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #34908 10/02/19 01:37 PM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Well sorry for being away so long, but mother nature threw another curve at me and this time I struck out, any way since I last visited my site I noticed many have visited and I hope enjoy what I have recorded about all different aspects and subjects that I have dealt with throughout my life

I feel humbled to think that anything I have done or accomplished in my simple life seems to be interesting to those around me

please I would like to hear from any of you with any of your stories and please feel free to use this site for interesting chats

Richard
the northern hewer

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #34909 10/02/19 01:42 PM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

just before I leave I would like to thank the

Timberframer's Guild for sharing a spot for this chat site I appreciate it so much

Richard
the northern hewer

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #34910 10/02/19 03:01 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Thanks for passing on all your stories to us. Take care.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #34943 11/04/19 09:29 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi JIm and others

feeling a lot better now and thank the one above for giving alittle more time to reminisce

if any of you want to ask me questions about my work in days gone by feel free to send me an email at richard2@xplornet.ca

Richard
the northern hewer

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #34945 11/10/19 01:34 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

well something unusual happened to me today

just cleaning out an area where I stored old papers that I had accumulated over the last 50 years and stumbled across an old diary that I kept about 50 years ago, made very interesting reading even though I was the author (forgot all the entries)

The last entry was Nov 1 1971, only 32 at the time, the whole world seemed to have changed--I am now 80--and as you guessed it much has changed for sure--all my close neighbours are gone, including my parents, grandparents, close friends, and I could go on down the list, so what did I decide to do, you guessed it, I began to enter new items 48 years from the last post, should make interesting reading for someone in my family in the years to come

Having said that I encourage everyone to put down a few diary items and store it away--I found out by chance how interesting old entries can be

I ran across an old hydro bill for 1969 , it was for 3 months and believe it or not was a total of 29 dollars or 10 dollars a month, my last bill was 170 dollars for 1 month, and I was doing everything I could to keep it at that level, even with inflation figured in, hard to understand.

maybe some of you have had similar things happen I am sure that it would be enjoyable reading

well have to go now hope you enjoy my ramblings

Richard
the northern hewer

Last edited by northern hewer; 11/10/19 01:35 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #34946 11/11/19 01:42 AM
N
OP Offline
N
hello everyone tonight:

today I was once again remembering some of my major events and one that I really enjoyed being a big part of was a re enactment of moving one of the log buildings at UCV, we were required to use only methods used at that time, and it was open to public scrutiny and admission.

Once again I had to obtain accurate research material and then interview someone who had actually moved buildings and was still able to add hands on knowledge to the whole mix

I was fortunate to interview an older gentleman, who had moved large barns and houses, I was really interested in the power source he used and the equipment and methods and obstacles he may have had to overcome as he worked through some of his projects

You might be interested in what I found out talking to him!!!

Well unfortunately I have to go but will be back to continue---

Richard
The Northern Hewer
(broad axing timber--- what else is interesting?)

Last edited by northern hewer; 11/11/19 01:44 AM.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35770 04/21/20 01:59 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone tonite

It's been a while but Mother Nature is relentless sometimes, trying to evade that pesky virus, so far so good.

I hope that all you. Guys and gals are doing fine, I am starting to get restless, not used to sitting around, managed to get my wood split and ready for next winter

Richard
Nh

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35774 05/12/20 01:40 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone tonight

Well just a note here that deals with training and use of old tools, mainly the broadaxe, and adze, after quite. While due to Mother Nature, dealing me a curve ball, I would once again offer my services, in the form of teaching from afar
I have helped many gain the knowledge to obtain tools that are of good quality, sharpen,and use safely to create a timber that carries your signature in the finished surface

Give me an email at --Richard.casselman@xplornet.ca for further conversation

I am looking forward to hearing from you, I enjoy a good conversation on the subject close to my heart

Richard casselman
The northern hewer

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #35779 06/01/20 12:18 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone tonite

Just like to enter my proper email address---richard2@xplornet.ca--

Sorry about that bad entry in the previous post

I have just finished entering 3 subjects historic hewing, broadaxe handle carving, and historic adzing from old storage medium (DVD) on a 8mb memory stick--quite a feat for an old codger like me--but I enjoyed the challenge, it will now be easier for me to help those that need help, please drop me a line, if you need this kind of instruction, I have always enjoyed helping those in need.

Well back to evading that pesky virus

Richard casselman
The northern hewer

Page 128 of 136 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users