Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Auger bits for timber framing #950 05/27/04 01:57 PM
P
piller Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'm interested in auger bits for traditional timber framing (hand brace, T auger, and hand cranked boring machine use).

What types are preferred for making peg holes?
What types are preferred for use with hand cranked boring machines?
Any supplier recommendations?

I have not been able to find the larger diameter auger bits (1-1/2", 2") for my boring machine, except for the occasional antique on ebay.

There are many types of auger bits; hollow center, solid center, single spur, double spur, double flute, fast feed screw, medium feed screw, side cutter lips, various shank styles, carbon steel, tool steel, etc. Which types are preferred for timber framing and why?

Thanks,
Chip Piller

Re: Auger bits for timber framing #951 05/27/04 05:17 PM
G
gil anderson Offline
G
You might try MyOldTools.com. They list bits for for drilling machines for sale.

Re: Auger bits for timber framing #952 05/27/04 05:54 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Chip:
If you check out the tools section of this forum you'll see that I'm selling tools.
There is a list of current tools available posted there with prices.
Also, since that last posting, we've received more bits that aren't listed or photographed, yet.
The new list should come out shortly, but in the mean time you can check out that list and I can send you some photos if you would like me too.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Auger bits for timber framing #953 05/28/04 04:26 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
spurred bits are best for the peg holes, they cut a clean hole
For mortising spurs are nice but not neccessary if you score your mortise sides before drilling
The lead screws are a perpetual challenge when drilling through knots, the threads will plug and the bit will stop going down.
You can use some steel wool on the lead screw to shine it up and oil helps also.
For a boring machine i would look for a double spur bit and cut all your boring machine bits so they enter the wood at the same depth, then you can put a scale on the side of your boring machine
-Mark in Ontario.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users