Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Foundations [Re: Pegs 1] #13315 11/16/07 01:10 AM
mo Offline OP
OP Offline
Daiku, thanks for the detailed diagrams!

Down here in the lowcountry timberframing is not very prevalent. granted the buildings from the past have them but are covered with plaster and yet they still stand.... my thinking is that timberframe construction is overwhelming more stable in hurricanes than stud built due to bracing and the fact it is craftsman built. If somehow, testing could be done by reliable sources dealing with hurricane force winds testing timberframe vs. stud built and the results disclosed then the insurance companies would be happier with this type of construction and therefore would want to promote it with less expensive home insurance rates (pretty expensive around here on the coast). The next problem to tackle would be the connection of the timberframe to the foundation to withstand storm surge and wind uplift from hurricanes..... then you could all come timberframe here in sweet sunny south.

Re: Foundations [Re: mo] #13339 11/21/07 06:43 AM
J
J. ODonnell Offline
J
ICF foundations... I used an ICF foundation on my timber frame home. I had no problem incorporating the ICF foundation with the timber frame. It looked very much like "daiku's" detailed drawing. The only difference is that the timber frame landed mostly on the concrete since the ICF's are much thicker than a traditial 8" poured wall. I used Logix ICF's. The block itself was about 12" thick, can't remember the exact width (3" foam, 6" concrete, 3" foam). There's only 6" of concrete because the amount of re-bar required is ridiculous, but strong.

The part of the timber that did not land on the concrete had a built up 2x8 support under it. The foundation footings in the post locations are much wider than the rest of the foundation.

Not sure what all the booing and hissing is about with the ICF's. In my opinion they're superior to traditional poured concrete walls. Re-bar horizontally every 16" an vertically every 24". They are far more expensive, but the R-value speaks for itself. The cost to heat a home isn't going down any. Payoff would take a long time, but the our environment appreciates it.

Re: Foundations [Re: ] #13342 11/22/07 02:41 AM
P
Pegs 1 Offline
P
Any product is only as good as the plan and the execution....

SIPS is a good example....I don't care who makes it.....Its two pieces of plywood with foam in the middle......Its the guy that puts it on that will determine if its a good product or not....

Its experience and attention to detail......Its not something you learn watching Norm make a tool shed

Mike and Karl
Timber Frame Builders, LLC
Up North Minnesota
http://www.timberframe.bz
Re: Foundations [Re: Pegs 1] #13352 11/24/07 01:51 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Yes Pegs, you're right about SIPs being only as good as the people installing them (and I do hope you mean partical board as opposed to plywood...otherwise, dude, you're getting some high quality SIPs!).
The same can also be said, of course, for ICFs. I have just had my first encounter with them...not impressed with the installation. As was not my boss. As was not the client! Very not good.
I can see how they would appeal to homebuilders...it's new and exciting technology, and energy efficiency is the way of the future!
I'm being a little sarcastic here, but mostly because I've lived long stints in 2 houses that are pre 1900, and they are still standing, and cozy. If one knows how to maintain and live in them, they will stand out this century, too.
All the newer homes I've lived in have problems with poor air circulation and most have ended up with mold and mildew problems, resulting in sick kids frown
Now I'm sure this has been tackled and even remedied by many companies (at a cost), but how many can afford it?

Anyways, that's my 2 bits....
Peace

Re: Foundations [Re: ] #13369 11/27/07 11:08 AM
J
J. ODonnell Offline
J
Well, I can see you have quite a strong opinion about ICF's. However, as I mentioned, the portion of my posts not bearing directly on concrete are supported with built up 2x8's. In order to do this I had to sacrifice some foam and cut it away from the concrete. This allowed me to lag the 2x8's to the concrete wall. This also gave me a chance to see what the pour ended up looking like. I must say I was a little afraid to do this, for I may not like what I see. In all the sections that were cut out it showed a perfect pour. No air pockets...... nothing to worry about.

Not sure if this makes you feel any better about ICF's, but this was my personal experience and I'm no foundation expert. I did have professional help though.

Re: Foundations [Re: J. ODonnell] #13412 12/01/07 03:25 PM
jim haslip Offline
<caveat> If installed correctly </caveat> there is less chance of 'air pockets' (voids) in ICF walls.
The concrete should be inserted into the walls via a concrete pump method as 4 ft (maximum) lifts and vibrated.

At least that is how I have always done it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users