Print Thread
Rate Thread
My first timberframe #13485 12/10/07 05:10 PM
B
b-rad Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello All
I joined this forum because I am going to be building my first timberframe in the spring. I have been a builder/remodeler in the seacoast NH are for about 10 years. I have always admired timberframes and look forward using this method to build my own home. I got a set of plans from Goshen timberframes that are very detailed with shop drawing for all of the timbers. If anyone had any recomendations of publications i could read for more information. I am not sure of the style of frame. I think english frames use a rafter on a tiebeam and this one has purlins connection the bents. What style of frame is this? I am sure I will have more questions and any advice would be very appreciated.
Thanks

Re: My first timberframe [Re: b-rad] #13513 12/12/07 09:14 PM
brad_bb Offline
Have you learned the techniques for timberframing? Do you know how to use a framing chisel? What do you have for a mallet? I knew nothing a year ago, but after taking an intro class where we built a timberframe, cutting all the joints, I leaned a ton. I learned a lot that I would not have derived from any book. Do you know how to layout and the different techniques for laying out. Do you know how to layout with a razor knife and use the razor line to rest your chisel on the final facing of a joint. I just recommended this in another forum and I'll recommend it to you. Take a class. It will be very beneficial to you. It was worth every penny to me and will save me tons of time and money while building mine. I took my class at foxmaple.com last June. There was another class in Tennessee early in the sping which I was too late to sign up for. Might be an option for you if you don't want to wait. I would also recommend two blogs to you:
http://massiehouse.blogspot.com/
http://tysonsdaily.blogspot.com/2007/05/timberframe-barnshop.html

Re: My first timberframe [Re: b-rad] #13518 12/12/07 11:37 PM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
b-rad
Drop me a email
bspoerl at nhvt dot net (change to proper format)
I live in southern NH
Bob

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users