Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) #13598 12/26/07 10:17 AM
mikehailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Forgive me ignorance please!

I have been reading Steve Chappell's " A Timber Framer's Workshop", and I ran upon something that I have a question on. Hopefully someone can give me an answer, or at least point me in the right direction.

In his chapter on tie beam joinery, he states, that tie beams being in tension should be one continuous member, as scarfs eventually spread. This seems to limit me in my home design to what length timber I can obtain. Right now the mill I use can only do 20' so that leaves me with about 19 after squaring up.

What I would like to know is opinions on using scarfs in tension members, and whether this is workable, or should I go back to using only 19' as my widest bent?

Thanks

Siketi
Re: Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) [Re: mikehailey] #13599 12/26/07 02:12 PM
daiku Offline
Mike:

You'll have to give us more information. A tie beam in what context? If it's the lower chord of king post truss, then I'd agree that you should be very cautious about using a scarf or spline in that case. Are you trying to clear span something greater than 20 feet? CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) [Re: daiku] #13602 12/26/07 04:54 PM
mikehailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually The tie beam, as drawn in the book is not actually a free span, but could very well have two or more posts supporting the beam. It was my assumption from reading other books, that as long as the scarf was over a support i.e., post then a scarf would be acceptable. An example would be the beam that ties the two high posts in a high beam cape.

Am I describing this correctly? I hope so.

I guess the question would be? where can you use a scarf? Sills obviously, Plates I assume, Ridge beams, Where else?

Siketi
Re: Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) [Re: mikehailey] #13603 12/26/07 09:08 PM
daiku Offline
One must be careful about the placement of a scarf joint. On top of a post may actually be a poor choice, as this may be the point of the highest bending moment. One can create a scarf joint that is quite strong in tension, but one that is strong in bending is more elusive. This has been discussed at length here on this forum . Also, see Jack Sobon's article: Historic American Timber Joinery part VI Scarf Joints. This is available as a free download from the Guild's web page.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) [Re: ] #13606 12/27/07 12:17 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Mike, if my memory serves me right Chappells shop is 32' wide and uses a king post truss with the bottom cord (tie beam)in 2 peices, joined to the king with wedged half dovetail tenons. That might not be the example for your project, and that joint should be in his book as well. I would look it up but I lent the book out a year or so ago and haven't got it back yet. That joint isn't a splice. Tim

Re: Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) [Re: TIMBEAL] #13618 12/27/07 03:59 PM
mikehailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Answers to questions posed so far?

(1) I will look at Chappell's book, as I have it here.
(2) I had read the discussion on scarfs over posts, and braces.
(3) The project I have in mind is 24' wide so my timber stretcher doesn't have enough horsepower. :-) actually the basic structure will be 24' wide 32-36 deep. It will be a combination of back 1/2 supported, and front 1/2 freespan.

The mentioned discussion on bending moments on Beams over posts, and braces never discusses the beam being in tension. Isn't a tie beam/girding beam in tension in addition to being subjected to bending. If it is in tension, are scarfs suitable to prevent spreading?

Mike

Siketi
Re: Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) [Re: ] #13620 12/27/07 05:01 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
most mills will overcut their own length, especially bandsaws.
I cut a 40' long set of top plates on my 35' mill. So it should be possible for you to cut 25' tiebeams on a 20' mill.
It takes some time and cussin, but can be done.

Re: Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) [Re: Mark Davidson] #13625 12/27/07 08:24 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
There are ways to reduce the outward trust on a post that a tie beam is connected to, in order to reduce the tension to a level that a scarf joint will work.
Each frame design has to be looked at carefully for these reasons. And sometimes a different arrangement of timbers will be needed to accomplish the intended design.

I always like the story about a ladder leaning against a building, with the base of the ladder on a puddle which has frozen and is therefore ice and very slippery. At just about any angle, when you climb this ladder it will slide out and fail/fall down.
Now attach the top of ladder to the building. The ladder can no longer slide on the ice.....

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) [Re: Jim Rogers] #13629 12/27/07 10:04 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
good point, Jim.

if you aren't trying to clearspan, then you can support the rafters at the peak with a post (as Jim was illustrating) which if done correctly eliminates thrust on the plate, or you prop them up somewhere along their span with a post and reduce the thrust on the plate. In this instance, you need to tie the posts together to contain the (somewhat) reduced thrust. Either way, you don't need a scarf.

I would not put a scarf in tension without going to a pretty beefy scarf.

Here are some beefy tie scarfs --

http://books.google.com/books?id=PRdDAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA465&dq=timber+framing&as_brr=1#PPA454,M1

It goes without saying that timber frame designs should be reviewed and approved by a structural engineer. (doesn't it?)

gabel

Re: Tie Beam Joinery ( Newbie) [Re: ] #13635 12/28/07 01:53 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Originally Posted By: Derek J Swanger

I review and approve an engineers report. Timberframing is the higher science. Engineers work for us. (don't they?)
Beef and common sense have solved loads issue for a long time.

Derek,

Point taken. It is even better to talk to a timber framer first.

By "common sense", I assume you mean an understanding of load paths and the practical application of engineering formulae? wink

gabel

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users