Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Best English-language reference on Fachwerk? #15482 05/19/08 10:53 PM
B
Bill Boquist Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello all. I am curious to know if there is anyone out there who knows of a good book on the "how and why" of German timber framing practice, written in the English language. If so, I would be grateful to receive title and author or ISBN in a reply. Failing that, is there a profusely illustrated book on the topic written in German that I can muddle through based on the photos and drawings? I'm looking for a technique book more than a picture book. Thanks!

Last edited by Bill Boquist; 05/20/08 01:42 AM. Reason: clarity
Re: Best English-language reference on Fachwerk? [Re: Bill Boquist] #15488 05/20/08 05:36 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Bill,

There is a 2001 "Libri Rari" reprint edition of "Duetsche Holzbaukunst" by Carl Schaffer (ISBN 3-88746-432-X) originally published in 1939 which is extensively illustrated in a fashion similar to those provided in Herman Phleps book on log built buildings. It also explains the numbering system employed on multi platform fachwerk frames i.e. where numbering elements regarding height, position and aspect within a frame are fully reflected in the numbering system.

Can I suggest that you also consult back numbers of Timber Framing where several articles have been published on fachwerk.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Best English-language reference on Fachwerk? [Re: Ken Hume] #15500 05/21/08 12:35 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
Bill, that was a good question!

Ken, how about any French framing books?

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Best English-language reference on Fachwerk? [Re: Housewright] #15502 05/21/08 05:34 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Jim,

I think that this is a question for Mo.

The various compagnon organisations in France have extensive libraries and very active websites with good newsletters (in French). You could do no worse than simply search for "Campagnons du Devoir" and take it from there.

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: Best English-language reference on Fachwerk? [Re: Ken Hume] #15625 05/29/08 04:16 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Bill,

I have now found a much better illustrated book on German Fachwerk construction. This is called - "Handbuch der Holzkonstructionen" and is by Theodor Boehm. The book was originally published in 1911 in Berlin but is still available today as a reprint by Verlag Leipzig. ISBN 3-8262-0207-4.

My Australian friend Chris How MSc. just arrived from Germany and dropped by today with a copy of this book and it is about 2 inches thick with illustrations on just about every page. At 27 Euros this is a must have book.

Chris also showed me a copy of "Das Fachwerkaus - Deutschland, Frankreich und England" by Wilhelm Fielder originally published in Berlin in 1903. This is about half an inch thick, contains good illustrations and especially shows various decorative infills encountered in selected German, French and English buildings. My understanding is that this compilation by Wilhelm was based on his doctorate research. This book sells new as a reprint costing about 6 Euros. ISBN 3-8262-0601-0
Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 05/30/08 07:47 AM.

Re: Best English-language reference on Fachwerk? [Re: ] #15631 05/30/08 08:13 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Derek,

Thank you for that wiki lead. I checked it out and it doesn't really offer much information about fachwerk but it does provide a great link to the 1800's Tudorbeathan timber frame revival - a subject close to my heart and one which formed part of my Masters dissertation researches in SW Surrey (Nevill, Shaw, Lutyens, Bailey Scott, Jekyll, Vesey, etc).

I have now had a note from Reprint Verlag Leipzig to tell me that Handbuch der Holzkonstruction is no longer available from them and so of necessity a second hand copy is currently the best hope. I have suggested to them to make another reprint and sell these via the TFG bookstore and the CF publications section websites since following the "export" of so many zimmermen into Europe and America that this book is likely to sell well.

Verlag Leipzig do currently have for sale at 16.95 Euros "Der Hoilzbau das Fachwerkbau by Hans Issel. ISBN 978-3-8262-0904-8 and this is currently available from Amazon.de on special offer for sale along with Die Landwirtschaftliche Baukunde by the same author for Euros 26.90.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 05/30/08 08:14 AM.

Re: Best English-language reference on Fachwerk? [Re: Ken Hume] #18102 02/11/09 12:56 AM
B
brendejo Offline
B
Grundwissen des Zimmerers, I doubt they have it anywhere in English but it is the most useful book around, simple lots of pictures, diagrams etc nothing too exotic...by German standards anyhow but its all in there. I would like to find it in English myself. Someone should write one if I translate it anytime soon I will drop a line, b

if i had a hammer...

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users