Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
electric in nailbase panels? #15485 05/20/08 01:16 AM
E
eddymatt84 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Is there every any classes about practical electric into a nailbase wall panel? I don't typically do the inclosure part of a frame but currently am. I struggled a while with electric and how to hide the wires. First issue was just simply getting the client to decide where to place all the boxes and outlets. We fianlly figured this out. The entire building was inclosed in V-groove pine. We ended up running the wires into the V-groove after routing a channel for it to run in. afterwords we put the panels over it. Seemed to work out well but was a very slow process. We had to make map of the wires. (I also took digital photos of the wires for later reference so no nails go into it) Has anybody else had issues with electric and panels? Is there a way to hide the wires afterwords? Just curious what others do? thanks for any info!
matt eddy
Pine Tree Timberframes

Stop Work Order! Re: electric in nailbase panels? [Re: eddymatt84] #15508 05/21/08 04:23 PM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
Matt, First thing you, as installer (in any way), and your customer as GC, have to do is comply w National Electric Code (NEC) 2008. All electric work has to be inspected by the local authority within the project jurisdiction. You can't get C of O without passing electrical inspection. "The Code" gives you minimums for location, spacing, and # of outlets, switches, lights etc, as well as placement of wires within walls, beams, panels etc. The code is extensive and thorough, and it really is all about SAFETY. Nice to have the record during construction of locations and your methods - it will be helpful to tradesmen or next house owner for future work if it isn't lost or forgotten about. Also maybe helpful if inspector makes you "open it up" or tear out non-compliant installation. Conductors (romex, bx etc) installed behind 1" nominal wood panelling must be protected with "nailproof" steel plate or be installed inside metal conduit no matter how well you map & mark its location and hope for NO NAILS.
Is your customer cheap or unrealistic? wants to have trouble w inspection beauracracies and doesn't worry about an electrical fire? Are you taking on work that isn't good for you? Homeowners insurance policies deny claims coverage for damage from uninspected, non-compliant electric work. I suggest you convince your customer to hire a licensed electrician and work with local authorities to be code compliant. You'll prob enjoy your part of the TF, carpentry and enclosure work more than your frustrating and probably illegal electric work. Work with your inspectors, in most cases they appreciate that. They are there to help make a good and safe job happen. I won't say good luck 'cause there is no luck involved in this one. Heads up! Be smart, protect yourself and your customer, and all the future occupants of this house.
Remember to protect the TF from wild drillers! See my recent post in tools forum on "drills...."
Take this as a friendly "Stop Work Order" before you get a hostile one!
Steve

Shine on!
Stop Work Order! Re: electric in nailbase panels? [Re: Waccabuc] #15509 05/21/08 04:40 PM
daiku Offline
What he said!

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Stop Work Order! Re: electric in nailbase panels? [Re: daiku] #15510 05/21/08 09:16 PM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
Daiku, I think that's a compliment. I'll take it that way. Thanks,
Steve
www.karriaussies.com

Shine on!
Re: Stop Work Order! Re: electric in nailbase panels? [Re: Waccabuc] #15516 05/22/08 09:29 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Matt, both Sobon and Benson books have suggestions on wiring a frame. These can be shown to the electrician. You may find the local electricians have little experience with timbered buildings. Some will make a mountain out of it and some will take it on excitedly. Check around and have them come by and have a look, then select. They will have a tight schedule this time of the year. They may work with you with opinions on what will work and what to avoid, ask if they would work this way with you. Hope it works out. Tim

Re: Stop Work Order! Re: electric in nailbase panels? [Re: Waccabuc] #15518 05/22/08 12:52 PM
daiku Offline
Absolutely. A thin layer of wood between bare romex and the living space is a bad idea. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Stop Work Order! Re: electric in nailbase panels? [Re: daiku] #15523 05/22/08 04:28 PM
brad_bb Offline
Consider a wire that overheats for whatever reason- poor connection, etc. Will it start a fire in the wall? Please take all the safety precautions. It's not worth skimping on cost on this one. Even if you have to redo the job, It's matter of life and death. We know about fire in Chicago!
Also I wonder about your liability if something happens for work not done to code. We are all assuming some code violations here based on some of what you described.

Stop Work Order! Re: electric in nailbase panels? [Re: Waccabuc] #15534 05/23/08 04:56 PM
E
eddymatt84 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
thanks, i had a electrican run his own wires before i installed the panles. thanks matt

Re: Stop Work Order! Re: electric in nailbase panels? [Re: brad_bb] #15536 05/23/08 04:58 PM
E
eddymatt84 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
what the electrian did is put metal conduit ontop the v-groove than we cut channels into the panels for them to sit into. thanks for help
matt

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users