Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
holster? #16790 09/11/08 12:38 AM
C
collarandhames Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi all,, did a site search for holster, but last posting was '03.
What I want to make is a leg holster for my 2" sorby for raising day. (or?). What I was thinking was something that had a belt loop at the top, and a leg strap towards the bottom.
I do leather work,, and wanted to see if anyone else had done this, so I can learn from other's mistakes.
Thanks!

Re: holster? [Re: collarandhames] #16792 09/11/08 02:49 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
The Woodcraft catalog sells holsters like you describe, but I don't think they are leather. Would want to make sure it's not going to fall out while you're scampering around the frame.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: holster? [Re: Dave Shepard] #16795 09/11/08 10:03 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I was figuring on velcro around the handle,, or a snap?
Didn't find it on woodcraft. I pretty much have a good idea of what I want. Surely someone else has made such a beast?

Re: holster? [Re: collarandhames] #16796 09/11/08 11:38 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Those sorbys are so long you may want to wear it on your back like he did in Braveheart, otherwise it might trip you. grin

but seriously, I have a smaller chisel I carry when I climb -- quite often I find that I don't need or want a big chisel when I am fine tuning a timber in the air -- there is often not a lot of clearance for a 1-1/2" or 2" chisel to operate.

that being said, Barr sells one for his chisels . It would be too short for a Sorby, but it will give you an idea of what his is like. It has no way to secure the chisel, relying on friction and gravity.

Re: holster? [Re: Gabel] #16797 09/11/08 12:37 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
At the very first guild raising I ever attended, it was announced that there would be no chisels allowed on the deck during the raising. This was because of the events of the past when chisels in holsters were dropped or fell out during these events. When a chisel was needed at this raising, everyone on the deck had to stand still while one chisel was brought on, used, and then removed. And it was only needed once, through out the whole day.
Carrying a chisel in a holster without it being properly secured above other workers could be dangerous. Whatever you do, do it safely....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: holster? [Re: Jim Rogers] #16801 09/11/08 07:54 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
Jim, I was thinking of that conversation you and Will had when I read this the first time. I'd hate to look up and see a chisel headed my way.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: holster? [Re: Dave Shepard] #16805 09/11/08 10:33 PM
brad_bb Offline
Yeah, I'm not sure I like the holster idea and climbing, no matter how secure. Being overly cautious in a raising is a good thing. Three dangers exist if using one and climbing - dropping it on someone who didn't know you were using it above, either blunt or sharp end would be bad so extra caution with everyone paying attension to the one chisel on the deck sounds good. Next is dropping it while climbing- it becomes unsecured from the movements. And finally, if you go to put it back in the holster and put that razor sharp chisel into your leg. I guess a fourth one exists in that it may make climbing more difficult or catch on something.
With that said, I use Jim Rogers sheaths and I don't see why you could add a strap for around the leg and one up to the belt loop. You might want a complete rigid backing for it along it's length, makes it more awkward though. If the chisel is as long or longer than the thigh you carry it on, or the handle comes all the way to the belt line (pivot point), it could be a problem.

Re: holster? [Re: Jim Rogers] #16806 09/11/08 11:38 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Agreed. I hadn't even thought of what could happen if I dropped anything! Yikes!
I'd still like one for strutting around on the ground, and cool picture opportunities! har har!

Re: holster? [Re: collarandhames] #16815 09/14/08 11:29 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
I am looking for a new holster, too. I have a canvas one which can fit a 2" chisle, if only I could remember where I got it. I store my chisle in it. I usually wear a 1.5 inch chisle at raisings. You certainly need to be aware of your tools and surroundings while climbing, but there is no more risk of a chisle falling out of a holster than a hammer; be careful.

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: holster? [Re: Housewright] #16816 09/14/08 09:44 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Jim, Does it have a belt loop on top, a snap for the top of the chisel handle, and a leg loop to keep it in order,, kind of like a Han Solo gun holster from starwars? This is what I was thinking of. Great if you could share a picture,, I'm unable to find any satisfactory pictures ANYWHERE of the beast I have in my head!
Thanks. dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users