Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
tress/hair #17488 12/12/08 11:28 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I usually keep my hair cut short. It is easy to care for this way. It is good of my environment. Less chance of it getting tangled in the gears of the machine I am boring holes with.

tress |tres|
noun (usu. tresses)
a long lock of a woman's hair : she was tugging a comb through her long tresses.
verb [ trans. ] archaic
arrange (a person's hair) into long locks.
DERIVATIVES
tressed adjective [often in combination ] : a blonde-tressed sex symbol.
tressy adjective
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French tresse, perhaps based on Greek trikha ‘threefold.’

I use mostly wood stock within a 30 mile radius of the job site. It's usually cut with harvesters some of the larger stock is still cut with chainsaws if it's too large for the shear. I have a fondness for horses logged wood. I would like to use all my stock harvested via horses. It would fit very well with the organic structures I am striving for. I wonder if LEED has a point or two for horse logged timber?

Tim

Re: tress/hair [Re: TIMBEAL] #17489 12/13/08 05:22 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
interesting. Do you think he meant trees instead of tress?

I, too, am fascinated by horse logging. i grew up with draft horses and mules on the farm. Mostly for breeding/raising colts, but we occasionally worked them.

I am also fascinated by the prospect of owning enough timber to suppply our timber. I think it would take 150 acres. Maybe less. We're pretty much too close to Atlanta for that to be feasible any more since land prices have risen to the point of absurdity around here.

I am glad to see this fora opened up.

Re: tress/hair [Re: Gabel] #17491 12/14/08 12:43 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I sure hope trees were intended.

I sit on close to 200 acres. Most of it has been cut within the past 20 years. When time allows I am encouraging the new growth. I have some nice spruce rafter stock coming along, which will make nice tapered rafters.

It will be nice to see what sprouts.

Tim

Re: tress/hair [Re: ] #17689 01/16/09 01:28 AM
M
michaelhollihn Offline
M
Horses are good in many ways. Road building is one of the most destructive and expensive parts of a working forest and tree farm. With horse you don't need as many roads. If you use them in the winter, where there's snow, they also eliminate any erosion and soil compaction. I will start a list of preferences. With regards to timber removal we will have skidder with big air tires over skidder with tracks, and horses (and other pulling animals). I once heard of a guy who used a hot air balloon to skid his logs. He put a block and tackle on the tops of 4 trees at 4 "corners" of the cut-block. He then used the balloon to move the logs to the deck where they were milled. No roads/skid trails.

Prana Timber Frames,
sustainable forestry,
homes that breathe

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users