Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Forestry Politics? #17506 12/16/08 12:10 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
This is my short question. What is the definition of forestry politics?

Tim

Re: Forestry Politics? [Re: TIMBEAL] #17509 12/16/08 12:33 AM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
My short reply for now is very closely linked to forestry money (the dangerous side of Politics). As "Deep Throat" said, follow the money....
There was that great journal from out west "......Forestry Review" in 1980s when turmoil and questioning and rebellion was brewing inside the US Forestry Service for reforms. The TFG had an excellent position paper on forests and old growth as an important national resource. Some participated in a big round table discussion w other forest resource users.
I was in Western Australia in 1988 and joined "The Greens" 300 mile march to Perth to petition the state govt to save the forests. Those wise and cool greenies, caring about the earth, and taking political action. Reminded me of TFG people. The struggle continues.
Let's talk about beauty, the spirits, eco systems vs tree farms, values other than monetary.
Steve

Shine on!
Re: Forestry Politics? [Re: Waccabuc] #17510 12/16/08 12:42 AM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
I think it was "Wild Forestry Review". I have copies upstairs. Tim, good that you have your own acreage for a woodlot. I have 9 acres, half of it wetland. I tried to get some Federal $ help and advice thru the USDA and Farm Bill programs for FLEP and wetlands restoration, but the BUshies wouldn't release the funds to the State Forestry Dept that were appropriated by Congress. Their "politics" said invasion and occupation of Iraq had first dibs on our tax money.
Did you vote for Change in Nov? I did.
Steve

Shine on!
Re: Forestry Politics? [Re: Waccabuc] #17515 12/16/08 12:17 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Steve, you are touching on political politics. Your experience suggest there is an overlap. I am begging to believe the two parties are just puppets. I wouldn't rely on the government to assist with my forestry needs.

Tim

Re: Forestry Politics? [Re: ] #17530 12/19/08 02:56 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I like to think that I live in a great continental forest, because that is the evolved natural system east of the Mississippi, no matter how weakened and injured the natural forest system has become. As I look around it occurs to me that every influence of humans is a matter of design whether it's buildings, roads, fields, lawns, fences or a simple mailbox. So I urge mindfullness.

I doubt that "scientific management" is an answer that can work in a comprehensive way, I would like to refer you to the CBC Radio show "Ideas" and the series "How to Think About Science" episode 13.

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/science/index.html

The program is worth a listen and concerns the northern cod population collapse, the alteration of genetics and food chain, and the failure of population rebound.

Re: Forestry Politics? [Re: TIMBEAL] #17547 12/20/08 09:31 PM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
Tim,
Our various levels of govt may or may not assist you. Could be fed, state or county forestry, agriculture and/or parks & recreation depts, State University Ag & Tech Cooperative Extensions. Could be your local zoning or planning boards and as we have here too, a local Conservation Advisory Council. Plus we have a Wetlands Inspector. On the local levels they mostly "are just doing their job", except for the occasional volunteers who can be wacky, self-important, and ill-informed PIAs. For starting a relationship with any whose jurisdiction I am/will be working in I start with the assumption that they are there to help, and I will inform them what I want to do, and that I need to know relevant rules and regs etc so that we can work cooperatively and successfully, and that they will help me. Ongoing successful relationships build trust and result in more rapid issuance of permits, completion of inspections, clearance of paperwork and issuance of Certifs of Compliance etc.
Nationally (& to the EXTREME w Bush Administration) govt agencies more often ARE puppets in order to implement policy to make or break fortunes for the puppeteers who want to misuse OUR national land, water, mineral and air resources for free, or to get permission to ignore the intent of the Clean Water Act and The Clean Air Act. Is acid rain effecting your forests in Maine as it is in the Adirondacks, Allegheny, Appalachian Mountains? Maybe someone from WV will say what's happening with
"mountaintop removal mining" ...?

Govt may or may not assist you, but they all will have some capacities to influence you, your forestry and land management practices, sizes and species of trees available for cutting, water resources available for use, regional and national management of pests and diseases (containment, or introduction by neglect - current huge looming dangers are the Asian Horned Beetle, blights affecting the Sugar maples and White Ash, smut affecting American Cherry, wooly adelgid on the Hemlocks). In the past - Dutch Elm Disease, Chestnut Blight, plus Pine Borers which 10 to 15 yrs ago killed all the stands of Red Pines planted here by the CCC during the 1930s.
So, is all govt evil or destructive or ignorant of local people and local conditions and local economies? Does govt have to be puppets for "bad, greedy" puppeteers? Are we also govt, as voters giving the "Consent of the governed"? by speaking up, by volunteering, by demanding policies will be obeyed that will sustain life? On a large scale - take steps to ratify Kyoto protocols and to raise CAFE Standards etc etc, and on a small scale to live as examples of our values, as you do "off the grid", taking care of your family and land, plus the life and heritage that are on it, sharing your knowledge, doing good work.
More later, I've got some snow to move so I can go dancing tonite.
Steve

Shine on!
Re: Forestry Politics? [Re: Roger Nair] #17548 12/20/08 09:38 PM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
Hey Roger,
Thanks for this. Be Mindful..... sit, breathe,look, observe...... wait.....
act.... with mindfulness.

Now I must empty my mind some, play with dogs, shovel snow, feed horse, drive gas burning 1989 Volvo to Christmas Holiday Dance in Hyde Park - see www.ashokan.org
dance and laugh and grin and sweat for 3 hours w friends new and old.
Steve

Shine on!
Re: Forestry Politics? [Re: Waccabuc] #17688 01/16/09 01:22 AM
M
michaelhollihn Offline
M
According to Wikipedia, politics is the process by which people make decisions. With regards to forestry practice, we should compile a list of forestry practice that keeps the timber framers in big timbers, and unselfishly (and selfishly) keeps forests healthy. We need to define forests from tree farms and by democracy or consensus, agree upon these terms in the persuit of truth, health, and happiness for us and the earth.

Prana Timber Frames,
sustainable forestry,
homes that breathe

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users