Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Timber frame and sprinkler systems #1120 11/15/04 06:27 PM
R
rholt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am building a timber frame home in an area that requires sprinkler systems. I am in the process of trying to find ways of hiding the piping (1" dia.) necessary to supply the water to the sprinkler heads and finding it very difficult. The problem areas are the vaulted ceilings that have SIP's attached and consequently no open area to hide the piping. Is anyone aware of some tricks / details that I might be able to use? I would greatly appreciate any advise. Thanks

Re: Timber frame and sprinkler systems #1121 11/15/04 11:21 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
why hide it??the actual sprinklers will be visible anyway.....
if you are determined then build a box around the pipes as folks do with duct work or work another layer of drywall board into the system and bury in the surface?
must be tons of ways to do it, have you asked some sprinkler installers?

Re: Timber frame and sprinkler systems #1122 11/16/04 06:55 PM
L
Leon Buckwalter Offline
L
If you're still fabricating the frame, or if it isn't yet enclosed, hiding the piping in a groove cut in the top of roof frame members might be the best option. Just make sure you put a heavy steel plate over the pipes to protect from nail penetration.

If this isn't possible, tuck pipes alongside framing members, and paint them a color that allows them to blend in with the wood.

Re: Timber frame and sprinkler systems #1123 11/16/04 10:51 PM
R
rholt Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Mark, Leon thanks for the replys. Leon, the frame is enclosed. The sprinkler installer recommended that we not try and hide the pipes. He stated that often the end product of trying to hide the pipe looks more awkward that just leaving it exposed. We also considered running it tight to the top plate / rafters and painting the pipe. Right now I am leaning toward leaving the pipe exposed.

Thanks again for the advice.

Re: Timber frame and sprinkler systems #1124 11/22/04 09:34 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
"the frame is enclosed" - does that mean in the plan or the job is already done ?
There are sprinkler heads on the market which look like light sconces or other ornamental ceiling or wall mounted stuff.
If the sips are not yet ordered then Thermocore will include your sprinkler 1" pipe given a verified copy of the plans. You have to put some thought in non-intersecting with electrocal conduit and accessible exith at the edge of the panels. Talked with Richard Egan of Thermocore on this very topic at the Eastern Conf just concluded.
Work safe, have fun.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users