Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Local and Regional Events #17838 01/27/09 12:35 PM
G
Gabel Offline OP
OP Offline
G
On last night's membership committee call, we spent a long while discussing the concept of local/regional TFG events as a way to increase member services and participation. These events could be as simple as an evening get-together at a restauraunt or pub in areas where there are a lot of framers or as involved as the annual project Grigg Mullen organizes in Virginia.

We(the Holder Bros.) are planning to host a mini-event (probably just BBQ and axe throwing) at our shop here in N. Georgia later this year. We're picking out a date right now.

I'm fired up about what this could potentially lead to. The Guild meeting somewhere near you on a regular basis -- sounds great to me. Anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

Re: Local and Regional Events [Re: Gabel] #17841 01/27/09 10:21 PM
Will Truax Offline

Some of us (Framers & restoration carpenters from the Concord / Lakes Region NH area) have been doing the Pub thing, a couple times every winter for some years now. Folks and their folk from four different shops.

Tonight included, Tuesdays are Celtic music night at the Barley House, if you’re from outside the area and watch C-Span you might have seen televised meet and greet events shot there during. primary season. It’s directly across Main from the Golden Dome of the State House and is often frequented by politician type riff-raff and other such assorted ne'er-do-wells in addition to the scary hairy Carhartt crowd.

It is one of those out-flowing and overlapping ripples on the pond that is this community. It being more than likely than not, that most of us would not know there was somebody else forty miles down the road sharing a common story, were it not for the existence of the Guild. And it is also a given that none of us would be as good at, or as knowledgeable about what we do were it not for, knowing and sometimes working with each other.

The same topic, short regional events and the potentials they might hold, are also an agenda item for the upcoming education committee con call.

I’ll echo Gabel’s sentiment - Thoughts and ideas are encouraged and welcome.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Local and Regional Events [Re: Will Truax] #17858 01/29/09 02:45 PM
H
Housewright Offline
H
I think local events or meetings or pub-crawls would be well recieved. The key is to have someone who is motivated to do the scheduling and invitations. If they were open to non-Guild members there would be a larger pool of people.

I have been asking people in Maine to come up with 3 or 4 old barns to look at and I would help them set up the tour. I plan on organizing at least two building tours this summer here in my area. A pub gathering is even easier, even if you are "scary and hairy..."!

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Local and Regional Events [Re: Housewright] #17860 01/29/09 05:19 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Housewright

...........even if you are "scary and hairy..."!

Like this:

My daughter took this picture of me....

I use it here in my shop to keep the mice away..... laugh

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Local and Regional Events [Re: Jim Rogers] #17886 01/31/09 12:15 AM
mo Offline
Jim, I think you frightened all the posters! hairy and definitely scary. if thats what you turn into when your drinking Im running the other way!:)

all those ideas sound good..I get tired of typing sometimes. you cant go wrong with a bbq down here in our parts.

Re: Local and Regional Events [Re: Gabel] #17899 01/31/09 02:34 PM
daiku Offline
Originally Posted By: Gabel
On last night's membership committee call, we spent a long while discussing the concept of local/regional TFG events as a way to increase member services and participation. These events could be as simple as an evening get-together at a restauraunt or pub in areas where there are a lot of framers or as involved as the annual project Grigg Mullen organizes in Virginia.

We(the Holder Bros.) are planning to host a mini-event (probably just BBQ and axe throwing) at our shop here in N. Georgia later this year. We're picking out a date right now.

I'm fired up about what this could potentially lead to. The Guild meeting somewhere near you on a regular basis -- sounds great to me. Anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

I think this is a great idea, Gabel. A way to get involved without the huge travel expense. Our round-log brethern at the ILBA seem to have something similar going on. There's a GLLCA (Great Lakes Log Crafter's Association) that's a regional orgainzation. Not sure how the two are technically connected, but I know they're doing a joint conference this spring in WI. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Local and Regional Events [Re: daiku] #18241 02/18/09 04:14 AM
Bigshow Offline
Well, we just had the big South Dakota conference in your shop last Fri.....

Re: Local and Regional Events [Re: Bigshow] #18248 02/18/09 01:10 PM
daiku Offline
While we loved having you, beer and cards hardly qualifies as a conference :-) But I conceed that any conference would be incomplete without them. Were all of the timber frames from South Dakota in attendance? :-)

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Local and Regional Events [Re: Gabel] #18250 02/18/09 02:08 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Meetup for Timber Framers?

http://www.meetup.com/

Sounds like a great idea. In NE I think I can bump into a timber framer just by turning around. Certainly plenty in these here parts.

I've debated doing a regional series of SketchUp classes. Finished 1 a few weeks ago with some fine folks in the White Mountains of NH. Would be willing to offer one in the VT area if there was interest. Possibly tie it in with someone else who wanted to present of offer a short workshop.

-Mike

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Local and Regional Events [Re: bmike] #18654 03/18/09 12:43 PM
D
Don P Offline
D
I don't know what is planned but there will be a captive audience every night down at the Campbell folk school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users