Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Vocational / Trade Schools #17902 01/31/09 03:50 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
To increase membership, has TFG ever thought about approaching trade schools? They're called "community colleges" in these parts.

Posting brochures on bulletin boards in campus centers might be a start...or what about being a guest speaker at an engineering or software / CAD class?

Perhaps history classes at the university level would be interested in speakers? TTRAG?

The first barrier, however, to those interested in joining us, would no doubt be the membership fee. I know the Guild has "student rates" but maybe we could give them the option of paying in installments, too?

I'm willing to act as a go-between in setting up things at schools in this area.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Vocational / Trade Schools [Re: OurBarns1] #17903 01/31/09 04:24 PM
daiku Offline
Recruit ameteur members via woodworking clubs and/or magazines. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Vocational / Trade Schools [Re: daiku] #17904 01/31/09 04:55 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Next time I go to the western side of my state, I'll drop in to the guild office and pick up some "guild" literature for me to take with me to the various timber framing schools, that I travel to.
While there, I'll layout the literature and make sure each person I meet understands that there is a guild and that there is an avenue for further learning...

One former classmate, of mine, who took a timber framing workshop with me, got a guild logo hat. He told me once he wore that hat everyday, even at his plumbing job. It was a year before some either asked him what the logo on the hat stood for or that he knew what the logo stood for.

Seems to me we could all use a bummer sticker.
Someone will have to champion this cause and get the ball rolling.....

I know when I joined the guild, as part of the package of info I got, was a nice timber framing calendar for that year.
Getting a bummer sticker, in the package would be nice as well...

I did add a TFG decal to my truck...:

and I have a smaller one like that on my hard hat...

You can purchase these decals from the online store and place them onto your vehicles as well...

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Vocational / Trade Schools [Re: OurBarns1] #17905 01/31/09 07:31 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
might be interesting to ask Bruno at CBA in Charleston how many of his students join the guild ?

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users