Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ask not #18340 02/22/09 10:22 PM
T
tim c. bernard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ask not what the guild can do for us ask what we can do for the guild. What if members rallied to build something for the guild, at first a structure the size of a large grange hall with an office at a permanent location in new england. I think a location that could hold monthly gatherings for one day with just one or two subjects covered would draw many people. It would be hard to ask everybody to sacrifice time in this economy but it would be an investment in future savings for ourselves and future generations.

Re: ask not [Re: tim c. bernard] #18341 02/23/09 12:35 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I think that a permanent home for the Guild where regular classes and meetings can take place and where we can host our own conferences is a great idea and the logical direction to take.

One big challenge is where do we locate? Another is how to finance it? Although if we look at the possibility of redirecting what we spend to rent facilities for conferences towards permanent facilities, the equation looks better.

have to run

Re: ask not [Re: Gabel] #18343 02/23/09 09:14 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Gabel,

Many years back at the inception of the Guild a number of houses were built for Habitat for Humanity and this was achieved by asking Guild members to bring with them one finished component for a square rule frame to a conference whereupon this was assembled into a building by all present. The Amish provide a good role model for such neighbourly help build projects.

I think that location is a red herring. Timber framed buildings can be taken down, transported and re erected or alternatively there is no reason why similar build projects (Macdonalds) could not be done at strategically convenient locations across the continent.

We have seen many times on this forum that buildings (barns) can be there for the asking and so the (cash) costs involved to achieve this aim need not be that great.

Many hands make light work.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: ask not [Re: Ken Hume] #18345 02/23/09 11:56 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Ken,

I agree that we are builders -- the building part doesn't scare me, it gets me excited about the possibilities. I do think members will willingly jump in to create something of permanence for the Guild.

I still think location is the big issue. I am sometimes envious of you guys in the UK with regards to everyone's proximity. England is smaller than my home state of Georgia. Add in Scotland and your about the size of Kansas. For us, location is important because a permanent headquarters would have to be fairly and centrally and wisely located with regards to the membership. I am reconciled to driving 10 hours or more (ore usually flying) to Guild events. Most others are not able or willing to go to that expense. I know that if the Guild Hall were 2 hours from me I would be there a whole lot more than if it were 14 hours from me. So I do see location as an issue.

Of course, someone could donate a suitable piece of property to the Guild and do away with the issue...

Building multiple regional campuses is an interesting idea, but the costs associated with buying land and building a Guild Hall would be difficult to handle when multiplied by multiple sites. Perhaps long-term that is an idea to entertain.

I don't think building with the idea of relocating is feasible, either. We can't just move the Guild every few years.

I think the benefits of a permanent headquarters would be tremendous.

I'm out of time for now...

Re: ask not [Re: tim c. bernard] #18578 03/13/09 12:12 PM
B
BOB798 Offline
B
It seems every one wants to act like this is a menembership orginazation it not just send your dues pay big bucks to eat at a fancy hotel for a weekend with as little interaction and dont think about doing anything else .

BOB
Re: ask not [Re: BOB798] #18582 03/13/09 01:25 PM
daiku Offline
Bob:

Without punctuation, I have no idea what you are trying to say. Your message could be interpreted many different ways, depending on where the sentences end. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: ask not [Re: daiku] #18586 03/13/09 01:40 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
I read it as a pretty negative assessment.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: ask not [Re: OurBarns1] #18628 03/16/09 06:46 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I'd like to hear more of your take on things, Bob. What should the Guild change, in your opinion? What is it getting right?

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users