Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why? #19302 04/19/09 12:49 AM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
A question I have given much thought to lately. My interests are many, metalworking, working on diesel engines and chainsaws, even photography. I am always trying to find a way to make a business out of my hobbies, but in the past have always decided that it wouldn't be as fun anymore. Working with wood has been an entirely different experience for me. There are so many aspects of it that I don't think it will ever become boring, routine, or mundane. I often take a project from tree to final form. I have logging, milling, and fledgling wood working skills. I even have a great deal of planting experience, but I doubt I'll be taking a project that far.

I feel that dedicating myself to timber framing, and it accompanying skill sets, will provide a lifetime of new adventures, education, and discovery. I think that a lifetime commitment to timber framing encompasses several phases.

I. Exposure. It is different for each of us. For me, it was growing up on a farm, and playing in our barns, as well as those of other farmers. My grandmother, a local historical society co-founder, took me to many events and destinations around the Northeast. This instilled in me an interest in all things old, and a desire to preserve them.

II. Education. We've all got to learn it somewhere. The trades used to be highly secretive, with a long apprenticeship required. I tried to apprentice to a couple of framers, to no avail. Fortunately times have changed, and sharing information has become widespread. I have learned a great deal from books, and a workshop as well. Let's not forget this forum, either.

III. Execution. Putting all of that knowledge to work. Timber framing can be what you want it to be. From very traditional structures to exploring new possibilities with wood. Hand tools or computers, it's still timber framing. You can pick one path for life, or you can follow a twisted road from one style to another, for as long as you like.

IV. Education. A key ingredient, it never goes away. Not only your own education, but that of others. You've learned a lot in your quest, and you will learn more, but now it's time to share with the next generation. Only a selfish person doesn't enjoy sharing.

V. Enjoyment. If it wasn't there from the beginning, you have picked the wrong path. While there may be ups and downs, overall, you should have enjoyed the journey.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Why? [Re: Dave Shepard] #19307 04/20/09 10:21 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
V. is the heart of the issue for me. It was a joy from the start and still is. I have shared and learned from many. So, let the education continue.

Tim

Re: Why? [Re: Dave Shepard] #19789 05/17/09 10:00 PM
H
hickory stripe Offline
H
I've been a newcomer to timberframing, for I was introduced to it in '05. Prior to that, I had been in a factory and in-and-out of computer courses for several years. The interest in woodworking, architecture, history, and construction had been there dormant all along. Hands-on experience and Guild materials opened that floodgate of interest, and this "scratched alot of itches." For the first time, I was doing a job that actually interested me, for even in my spare time (as my wife can testify) I read all I could on the subject.
Perhaps I joined the fun too late. Sadly, I'm wondering if I have to walk away from this trade I've recently come to enjoy so much here in Western NC. Laid off for over two months now and hoping my employer does not fold in this recession, I am applying to all sorts of things with much sadness. I want to do this for the rest of my life, but am afraid I will have to bid it farewell. This thing ain't over, but let's face it folks: the market for these fine structures is hurting and I wonder if it will ever come back.
I know I'm not alone. There's alot of you folks out there in the same spot. I welcome response here. I may need a rhetorical thump to the head. Thanks, Dave, for your posting. Well stated.

Re: Why? [Re: hickory stripe] #19791 05/17/09 10:52 PM
Dave Shepard Offline OP
OP Offline
Everything is hurting right now. It will get better. The companies that survive, will be stronger. I hope it isn't too far in the future.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Why? [Re: Dave Shepard] #20045 06/01/09 04:58 PM
T
tim c. bernard Offline
T
A year ago I broke my leg and suffered a head injury after being thrown 25' in the air. I don't have health insurance or workers comp.(I know its my own stupidity) I got caught up in the game thinking the next job I'll make enough to do everything right and that day never comes.I've never fully recovered. I'm behind on everything and about to lose everything. I'm seeing a therapist about my suicidal thoughts. I'm not sure if I have a love affair with timber framing or a disease.At the moment I feel its the only thing I have a degree in.I'd like to do this the rest of my life but not sure if its going to be possible.I think were all preachers of a beautiful belief but don't have a large enough congregation (customers)to support us all. I also think were about fifty years ahead of our time to enjoy a larger amount of people who are educated and respectful of what we do.Right now I'd just like a mental and physical life preserver.

Re: Why? [Re: ] #20054 06/01/09 07:39 PM
Will B Offline
Guys,
I think any of us who timber frame on a solo or small shop basis need to think of ourselves as builders, not just timber framers, and do what we can in these tough times. I would certainly not want to have only timber framing in my repertoire right now or at any time.
Timber frame when you can, even if it's only here on the Forums. Go to a Guild project.
Keep learning.
Build something, anything, to expand your portfolio so when the customers do come back you have something new to show them.

Re: Why? [Re: Will B] #20058 06/01/09 11:15 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
Testing testing testing.

Testing the post edit feature.

one two three

Last edited by Joel McCarty; 06/01/09 11:15 PM.
Re: Why? [Re: tim c. bernard] #20093 06/03/09 01:46 PM
daiku Offline
Hi Tim. Not sure if this is comforting or not, but you are not alone when worrying about whether your business is going to survive these tough times. Most of us are carefully watching our cash flow, and wondering just how far out on that limb we want to crawl before pulling the plug. None of us can see into the future to know for sure. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Why? [Re: tim c. bernard] #20096 06/03/09 02:54 PM
C
cedar Offline
C
Adversity is hard to take when strikes hard. My own personal adversity has been complex and hard. My own religion does not answer it nor does comsumerism and materialism. 5 years ago I was told that my corneas are giving out on me at the age of 48. I am educated commercial photographer. I am learing the ropes of timber framing as a hobby. I have 90% vision in my left eye and 50% vision in my right eye. The blindness association only has support for folks who have lost all of their vision. Most days I can hardly see at times!!! But I go for my wish list of things to do while I can see. The hell with the economy and my eyes.

Re: Why? [Re: cedar] #20100 06/03/09 11:46 PM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Chin up, boys. Timberframing has outlasted worse times in the last thousands of years thus far....

Diversity is the timberframer's friend; it's a good time to learn something new. That may mean pumping gas, but it'll feed the family and get you through to the next phase. Keep your shop doors open and chisels sharp in the meantime. The money's out there somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users