Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Tsunami #1211 01/10/05 04:39 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
I would also offer to help co-ordinate and organize the cutting of some small frames by several shops.... someone would need to check that there are not too rafters or sills in relation to the posts and beams? I'm not really very connected to ways and means to actually ship materials around the world.... Is it a good idea to have frame peices arrive at a central spot in North America for a test fit?
Are there others who could donate some time and materials to help send some small frames to these troubled areas? Even one frame sent over would be a good lesson in sharing our wealth?

By the way, Will, I was thinking maybe 16x21 might be easier to find spare materials for?

Re: Tsunami #1212 01/11/05 01:44 AM
A
Anthony Offline
A
As I am in the middle of milling Doug Fir for my frame it would be easy for me to mill some additional pieces to contibute to the cause. I have quite a few logs that I can use. Also, I could do some joinery in February when I am done milling and move on to cutting joints. Sorry that I can't help with planning and coordination. I am in Port Townsend, Washington.Let me know.

Re: Tsunami #1213 01/11/05 02:43 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
How many of you interested parties have or are willing to get the FREE Yahoo mesenger so we can have an open group discussion on line ?

Re: Tsunami #1214 01/11/05 03:04 AM
Will Truax Offline
Emmet --

Tell me how and when.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Tsunami #1215 01/11/05 03:41 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
At the suggestion of Will Truax:

download for the Windows version of Yahoo! Messenger.

http://www.messenger.yahoo.com/download.php

cut and paste in your browser, for whatever reason the info did not copy as a link.

Today's lesson for me, it posted as a link after I edited it. hmmmmmmmmmm Life is full of surprises.

Re: Tsunami #1216 01/11/05 01:47 PM
I
Ian Lawford Offline
I
Great discussion topic folks and kudos to my chuko brother John Budday for starting this discussion. smile
I would be willing to do what little I can to donate time and material to the cause. I agree with Mark, there should be a time and place for test fitting. For that matter would it make more sense to coalesce timber material in one area and do all the layout and cutting one time at a guild redezvous? Just a thought. Either way Mark, I would be will to coordinate my efforts with you since we are in the same region. As it stands right now i have some Balsum fir I could donate.

Keep up the good work
Ian

Re: Tsunami #1217 01/12/05 03:38 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I think we should identify a recipient and learn something from them about what works in the specific region to which we would be sending these frames

Anthony, I am buried until mid Feb but after that I would be available to come help you in PT

Ian, remember……. wherever chuko, there you are

Re: Tsunami #1218 01/14/05 01:40 AM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Greetings to all in the thread,

I am heartened to see such a level of activity on this forum. There have been a number of great suggestions that I think really need to be explored more fully. In light of this, I'm wondering what it would take to make this a sanctioned Guild event and how to reach an even wider audience. I have discussed this idea with people I've met as I've travelled and there has been universal interest. When I mention that I came across the idea here at ATE, I've met with the almost universal response: "Oh, I never go there." So, to get more people, is it possible to get a hotlink on the home page? (Joel, that's for you.) Also, remember to tell everyone you come into contact with to check it out. Not just for this topic, but all the forums.

The situation in Indonesia is going to be a long term one, let's continue to flesh out both the concept and the delivery of services. The charitable response around the world has been overwhelming. Organizations are beginning to turn away doners, so finding a partner may not be difficult. Again, it might be easier to attract partners if we were operating under the guild umbrella. How do we get there? (Will, that one's for you.)

Keep up the discussion. Post replies to bump the thread to the top of the forum. Doing something this big will be a lot of hard work. Will has started down that path, others will need to do so as well. Perhaps an ad hoc committee is needed to marsall all the energy I am seeing. Should this come to pass, who is interested in serving?

The Guild is us.

Bob

Re: Tsunami #1219 01/14/05 01:50 AM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Bumping the thread....

Re: Tsunami #1220 01/14/05 05:50 PM
M
Michael Yaker Offline
M
I would be willing to do my share in helping out. I would also throw out the idea of shipping over our waste materials. How many of us have shops or barns full of left over building materials we can't seem to work into our next job. A six foot piece of tar paper or coffee can full of misc screws, would probably be much more appreciated by those who don't have as much as we do.

Mike

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users