Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Tsunami #1231 01/17/05 02:14 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
good idea, Ian. Get the thread out of the forum, as the forum is not the place to organize action....a great place to ask questions and learn but how can you organize something like this???
Also, Ian I can now see the point about sending timberframes overseas.. it would be a lot of added cost to move the timbers from north america to asia..
Unless the transport is donated?

Re: Tsunami #1232 01/19/05 05:05 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Ian/Mark,
in this thread today requested Susan to publish a notice in the next 2 Scantlings looking for those in our number who are retired military.
We fly free to overseas destinations on a space available basis. These folks could easily become the nucleus of a crew for S Asia.
Taking notice of our effort here in Scantlings still requires a venue for those to respond. Maybe they will find free email and free access at the local library.

Re: Tsunami #1233 01/19/05 05:23 AM
C
crabtreecreek Offline
C
Some very motivated and well intended posts in this thread, I think perhaps these good intentions may be slightly optimistic and misplaced though as we cannot comprehend the devastation that these coastal regions have seen. I see a couple reccommendations that could be problematic. I agree with the premise that pre-fabbed frames would be prohibitively expensive to send over. Likewise the initiative to obtain a mobile sawmill and transport it assumes that the country has timber available and suitable for framing as well as the rights for the public to cut it. Please keep in mind the majority of the devastation took place in a tropical region where the bulk of the trees are palms or a species of bamboo. Both of these are suitable for building structures but do not lend themselves to milling and timber framing in the fashion we might like. The interior forests are composed primarily of teak, mahogany and rosewood which although beautiful and workable are too valued for commercial export to be used in timber framing. Obtaining access to these forests could be a political and environmental disaster. It is only reasonable to believe that the traditional masonry/steel and bamboo construction typically utilized is probably the most practical. Perhaps the worst problem with timberframes in this region would be termites and wood eating insects.

On the positive side, maybe we could focus our efforts on building a couple frames that could be auctioned off for charity and proceeds sent to the Tsunami victims and perhaps build a frame or two for the victims of our own US disaster in CA where people have lost there homes to the recent mudslides. Both could be done quickly and efficiently with little risk and maximum participation as travel, housing, etc. would not be as difficult or expensive. My 2 cents. All good discussion!!!

Re: Tsunami #1234 01/19/05 12:27 PM
Will Truax Offline
Crabtree –

While I can see the validity in all you say, and welcome constructive criticism to any conversation. And, at the same time can see there is something of pie in the sky in this premise, that it is a long stretch to see past how antithetical this all is…

I can not buy the certitude that shipping is somehow a prohibitive and defining factor in the same world that sees a global market that has the planet constantly criss-crossed by container ships, the same market and shipping capacities you suggest suck all the useful timber out of the region and leave it’s people to live in unreinforced unfired clay brick hovels. That, this is how it is and how it will ever be, that this is their lot, and ours is to accept it.

To my mind , this is overly pessimistic.

On the contrary I would suggest that mountains of materials are at this moment streaming in that direction, much of it far more inappropriate to the region than most of those we have suggested here, materials for which there will be far to few people available with the know how to put it to efficient use.

As to the auction angle, money raised with such great effort would still be a piddling in an already overflowing bucket and though my heart goes out who suffer with the losses and aftermath of the landslide tragedy I am certain the public outpouring which is also headed their way and insurances are helping do what can be done.

Too much said, I know. Must be up to a dime already.
Thanks for the bump.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Tsunami #1235 01/19/05 12:53 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Expressing my support and interest in helping and bumping the thread. Could perhaps host an event in the Southeast.

Gabel Holder

Re: Tsunami #1236 01/19/05 02:00 PM
I
Ian Lawford Offline
I
Emmett. I'm not entirely clear as to what it is you asked Susan Witter to post in Scantlings. If it was a request for more involvement and input then I think we have taken a big next step and I wont persue it any further.
It think wether the frames are shipped overseas or sold can be hammered out later. What is needed now is the Guild to come together . Actually, the Guild is big enough that both can be a reality, and no ones ego gets hurt.

Ian

Re: Tsunami #1237 01/19/05 07:00 PM
C
Cole Offline
C
Adding to Will's reply,

Victims of natural disasters here in the US not only have the privlige of insurance, they also have FEMA to help offset the cost of rebuilding. A privlige not available to the tsunami victims.

By no means am I trying to say one family without a roof over their head is any more acceptable near rather than afar.

Bumping the thread.
~Cole

Re: Tsunami #1238 01/20/05 02:08 PM
C
crabtreecreek Offline
C
My apologies to all if I sounded brash or critical in my post. It was not my intent nor my spirit to down anyones opinion or ideas on such a noble cause. My intent was to second the opinion of Mr. Buday that identifying the "client" and the "for whom, where" aspects are critical in being successful.

The most severely damaged area was the Island of Banda Aceh and in particular the western and north coast. Most humanitarian efforts are currently focused on the eastern portion. In addition to many being homeless, the following problems exist.

1. Fishing communities and fleets have been destroyed.
2. Shipping lanes are closed and treacherous with loss of navigational lights, channel markers, and bouys, A natural trench, previously the mainstay of shipping in that region has gone from over 1000' deep to less than 100' All lanes must be re-mapped, a task NOAA expects to take more than 3 months and then the debris cleared from the ports before safe shipping can be resumed. All supplies must currently be flown in.
3. Many water supplies have been contaminated.
4. Salt has spoiled the soil for agrarian purposes for many years to come.
5. They are in an ongoing civil war.
6. There is little currency. Goods are being bartered and commerce is chaotic.
7. Much of the islands has been reclaimed by the ocean and cannot be re-built.
8. The industrial areas have been wiped out leaving most people permanently unemployed.
9. Debris and waste must be removed and burned or carried of before rebuilding can begin.
10.Schools and streets are plugged with dead bodies awaiting burial.

This is a much different dynamic than simply rebuilding after a hurricane like we do here in the US.

We must also take into consideration the culture which is deeply religious. Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism are the primary religions. They prefer humble abodes and shun flamboyant western ideas. They do not all live in poorly constructed hovels and are actually well versed in architecture. Just like the US colonies, much of the Achenese province was developed in a Dutch Colonial style during the occupation of the Dutch. (interestingly enough the Dutch were a large influence in timber framing). The Achenese have adopted steel/concrete sructures with timber frame roofs becase of the tropical elements. The collapse of these buildings is due in part to the lack of building code and enforcement thereof just as it was in the Turkish quake a few years ago

Last but not least the hardwood forests of this region are in dire straits because of exploitation and irresponsible practices primarily by Japan.

http://forests.org/archive/indomalay/malessay.htm

On the positive side, I would propose that rather than building homes in a style they might not embrace on a individual basis perhaps we could endeavor to rebuild a community structure. A large number of the schools were destroyed in the area. They are a priority to be rebuilt. By building a school we could provide an educational benefit in more than one way and we would be able to identify a "client" and a place for the structure. It would be neccessary to coordinate efforts with local government as to the needs and any code requirements but it would make for a challenging and interesting project.

http://thestaronline.com/news/story.asp?file=/2005/1/10/latest/20625Scaredkid&sec=latest

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/text1-13-2005-64174.asp

Re: Tsunami #1239 01/21/05 02:13 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Bob,(crabtree)
Your cited report on the decimation of S Asian timber predates 1998. Has the situation changed ?
deralte

Re: Tsunami #1240 01/21/05 12:21 PM
Will Truax Offline
Crabtree –

No apologies are necessary, and I hope no offense was taken with my spirited reply, none was intended. I was but trying to affirm that which was the underlying emphasis of my original post. That the effected region as a whole, has housing which is incapable of standing up to even moderate seismic activity and that had an event of this magnitude been land based and free of the tidal wave, the sheer numbers might and the magnitude of the tragedy may have been near this same degree of devastation. And I see that, as itself tragic and near as great a cause for action.

I am aware of the regions timber trade and that though much has been done both on the international and local fronts to stem the flow, it continues largely illegally. Another cause for action.

I do hope your obvious familiarity with Indonesia and the passion your well said posts exhibit, mean we can expect to enjoy your continuing interest.

Thanks again

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users