Rate Thread
Carpentry Videos! #20361 06/16/09 02:56 AM
C
collarandhames Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Had to share! This one is from 1940 I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7QT6PbQ1dc&feature=related

Boy,, those guys had sharp hand saws framing!

This is a video from 2004,, 64 years later. I sit on an apprenticeship committee to encourage kids around gr 8 to think about carpentry .

http://www.whatiwant2b.ca/careers/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=53

Wanted to share. Pay attention to the blonde kid with the sun glasses. He's a riot. My film was on a tight budget, and has some great bloopers. Can you find them. (sorry i think it runs on loop)

dave vasey

Re: Carpentry Videos! [Re: collarandhames] #20365 06/16/09 02:42 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Dave--

That old video is really neat. Thanks for posting.

As a carpenter/woodworker for many years, It's great to see the early days of "modern" woodwork and carpentry. Great to see the culture, too. Everyone wore overalls; there were no baseball hats. Makes me think of my grandfather who was a good carpenter. I have some of his tools.

Interesting that they say "plywood is used extensively" in foundation work. Seems a bit early for that statement. But the video was made in Iowa, not a lot of forest like we have here in New England. I don't think Maine saw plywood go mainstream until the 60s.

I love how they installed the bridging in the floor. Scribing still had a place.

They featured balloon framing; they could swing a hammer. Even the hardwood flooring was put down w/ hammer and nails.

And the woodworking and veneer segment has them applying veneer to solid wood, a practice you would never do today. Solid wood is too unstable. It's not uncommon to see antiques w/ veneered tops that have either split or bubbled.

Enjoyed the other video too... go OYAP!
The blonde kid in the sunglasses reminds me of myself at that age. I went to a vocational program in high school for carpentry.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Carpentry Videos! [Re: OurBarns1] #20368 06/16/09 09:57 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I think they skipped the scribing and went right to sawing the bridging. I have often wondered how they did that.

Tim

Re: Carpentry Videos! [Re: TIMBEAL] #20374 06/17/09 01:26 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Flip- hold with one hand,, saw with the other. Zip zip zip done!
I also enjoyed that tip.

I didn't acutally make the modern movie,, but was asked to say some inspirational words.

Re: Carpentry Videos! [Re: ] #20380 06/17/09 01:59 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
We would occasionaly install that style of cross-type bridging when I was on a framing crew. I was taught the technical name is "herringbone bridging." But most of the time we installed solid bridging, staggered of course.

The stock in the video looked like 2-by stock. We used 1-by and cut it to length on a chop saw w/ a stop block. I remember my carpentry instructor said the herringbone was stronger than solid, but that it was more time consuming and thus less favored.

But the technique in the old video is great. Not scribing exactly, but in the spirit of the old way: no measuring, just cut-to-fit...

And we learned carpenters always had 2 crosscut saws: one in use, the other at the sharpener.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Carpentry Videos! [Re: OurBarns1] #20415 06/19/09 02:36 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Glad 'yall like it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker