Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brace Layouts #20960 08/24/09 11:12 PM
J
johninnh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Is there a rule of thumb regarding the layout of brace mortices in a post? if 3 braces are required in a post should there be seperation between the motices (on opposing faces)? Should they be staggered up and down the post assuming the structure can accept multiple locations?

Re: Brace Layouts [Re: johninnh] #20961 08/25/09 12:01 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I find no problem with opposing braces being in the same plane. It is the third one which usually is in a different location, typically due to the level of the receiving member. As an example a top plate and the tie beam, dropped, at, or above the eve line. The two braces joining the plate are in the same plane while the tie brace is moved from this plane allowing the same length brace. If pegged, I like to see braces with conflicting peg holes arranged so the do not conflict.

It these three or four braces are located in the internal parts of the frame you may want to ask your self if the 3rd brace is necessary, it may be redundant.

My general rule of thumb is to make all the braces the same length and other joinery decisions will stagger the bracing, reducing conflicts. There is always exceptions.

Tim

Re: Brace Layouts [Re: TIMBEAL] #20964 08/25/09 01:35 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
No rule of thumb that I know of.

I don't like it when 3 braces hit at one spot, but it's happened and probably will again. Make sure there is enough of the post left after the mortises, housings, and peg holes are installed to handle any bending forces or other loads on the post, including the contribution of the braces when they are loaded.

If you can't make that determination with certainty and we're talking about a real building, you should have an experienced timber frame designer or timber frame engineer take a look at it. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any recommendations.

As for opposite braces -- the mortices almost always go all the way through in 8" wide posts, and may in a 10" post. That's pretty normal.

Are you asking in regards to a specific circumstance or just in theory? More information would be helpful...

Re: Brace Layouts [Re: Gabel] #20965 08/25/09 01:57 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
How about six braces? I can't really see what is dictating the brace location. I thought there was one timber at a different height, but I'm not sure now. In the other half of the barn, there is a lower beam that drops the two braces lower than the others. This is how I normally see multiple braces in a post.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Brace Layouts [Re: Dave Shepard] #20966 08/25/09 10:46 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
In Dave's example you can see an exception, two different brace lengths.

A recent photo Dave? Our apples are off about 2 weeks due to the cool wet summer, some are just about ready for the press now.

Tim

Re: Brace Layouts [Re: TIMBEAL] #20973 08/25/09 08:55 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
That was from '07 We will be having another squeezing/shindig again soon. Had maybe 50 people last year, but the word is getting out, so I'd bet there'll be a lot more this time.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Brace Layouts [Re: Dave Shepard] #20977 08/26/09 03:34 AM
mo Offline
hey jonah,

Taking from what everyone has said, chances are you would never need more than three braces per post (one of the three at a different level (if all the braces are the same length)). if you are wanting more than three braces you would have an interior post, and chances are that it is braced somewhere else along that axis as timbeal said.

Yes you don't want mortises all at the same level. Why weaken the post? Change the angle if need be. But for the life of me, I have never gotten any response to the topic, "As your angle changes from 45,45,90 what happens to the resistance of forces"

Re: Brace Layouts [Re: mo] #20980 08/26/09 06:05 AM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
Originally Posted By: mo
hey jonah,
<snip>
But for the life of me, I have never gotten any response to the topic, "As your angle changes from 45,45,90 what happens to the resistance of forces"

Short answer: As the brace becomes more vertical it resists floor load (vertical load) more and wracking forces less.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Brace Layouts [Re: Gabel] #20984 08/26/09 11:57 PM
J
johninnh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the input everyone. This is a frame to house my tractor. The posts into which These braces would go would be an exterior post.

On opposing braces in the same post would you offset them on the vertical plane or directly oppose one another?

This is my first frame.

John

Re: Brace Layouts [Re: johninnh] #20992 08/27/09 10:13 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
The braces on the opposing sides of the post ( wall braces) are fine, it is the brace coming into the the 3rd face which may be higher or lower. What size brace are you using and what is the width of the mortice/ tenon? Are the braces housed into the post or flush with the surface? How long/deep is the tenon/mortice? What size peg are you using? Dimension of the post? What configuration of plate and tie will you be using? Sorry for all the questions, they may assist in understanding the whole picture.

Every tractor needs a home, mine keeps yelling at me to build one.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users