Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild #22871 03/01/10 04:47 AM
H
hotio Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Seeing as how high end timberframe houses are not on the cheap side,what would you think the chances are that a celebrity or two live in a timberframe house ? Then taking that one step further, do you think their is a snow ball's chance in the world that a celebrity or two could be convinced to come forward and lend support to the cause of the guild in recruiting new members. Kind of like Jimmy Carter supports Habit for Humanity. Harrison Ford was a carpenter at one time so they say. I know this sounds like a long shot, but hey.... how many hollywood homes great rooms have timerframe elements to them - the answer I would say are a lot !! Ergo go to figure elisting their help in picking up some support from well know sources. Just throwing an idea out there. thank you

Re: Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild [Re: hotio] #22875 03/01/10 12:24 PM
D
Don P Offline
D
Ever worked around "carpenters to the stars?" wink

Re: Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild [Re: hotio] #22940 03/04/10 04:49 AM
S
subway Offline
S
the best known celebrities have been forced to build tall walls surrounding their lots, except in a few cases. I walk my dog around a tiny lake every day in a community filled with working actors. (from 16 year old 'rock stars' to middle aged folks starring in two or three series at a time.) The homes around the lake were built in the 1930s, but because these people have more money than god, the homes have been heavily re-done many times over. But if you get one block or so away from the lake, there are a handful of old timber frames (the traditional infill variety) that look unchanged from the 30s; including some that are well known to have been celebrity owned.

I don't see any of these people lending their names to the timber frame biz; their managers tightly restrict the use of their names / images except for serious charities (haiti, katrina) or mega-dollar ad campaigns. No low key freebies....

Just for one brief 'name-drop'..... George Lopez moved from a wonderful old timber frame in this neighborhood to a walled compound with an old southwest Mission type home. The timber frame is just a block from his current home, but the security level has gone from wide open corner lot to 'the cameras are watching you before you get anywhere near the big wall." If you are really interested in checking out celeb timber frames, your best bet might be timber frames formally occupied by celebs. Their current homes are designed so they (or their security staff) can see you, but you can't see them, or their homes.

Re: Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild [Re: subway] #22954 03/05/10 06:23 AM
H
hotio Offline OP
OP Offline
H
As I said, this idea is a bit "unconventional" - but witness this story from Norm Abraham who we all know - for some strange reason Norm and Harrison Ford were in the same restaurant and Harrison wrote Norm a note and had it passed on to him by the waiter. In that note Harrison wrote to Norm that he respected and admired Norm's work. Norm then returned the compliment - that he(Norm) also respected Harrison's work. Yes Hollywood types probably have agents and publicists and High walls. But the point of this is - to get them to do it for their LOVE of it. Not for the pub, or headlines. How many stars still visit their parents home in backwater towns all over America. As James Earl Jones said in "Field of Dreams" - while it's money they have - it is peace they lack.

Every person who sees and gets a chance to experience a timberframe in action comes away a bit breathless and taken by the mass,grace & magesty of a timberframe. Why not use the elements of grace,age & beauty of the art of timberframing to further the cause. Bob Seger is not a hollywood type but he tells the story of when he did the "Like a rock" ad campaign - he did it to help his friends in the auto industy - and not to further his career. He is from the Michigan area so he lend a hand to sell trucks by doing his part to further the cause of auto workers. So if the guild did an occasional project in an outlying area to a large American city -how many media stations would LOVE to do stories of progress of a timberframe being built say - near Boston, or near New York or Chicago. And they had a celebrity helping out that would get even more media out to the project. They would absolutely LOVE to do those types of stories for sure. It then bring more focus to the art,skill and craft of timberframing. Bring some cute ladies on board for a project, how about introducing a bit of "SEXY" into timberframing !! - Then the guys will come running to sign up !!

Re: Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild [Re: hotio] #22955 03/05/10 11:50 AM
B
bmike Offline
B

There are many timber frames built near Boston, NYC, etc.
There are even a few rock stars (more successful than Bob Seger)and media moguls and semi famous designers and political types that have worked with architects and designers to commission to build and now live in them.

And Bob Seger was more than likely paid a huge and handsome pile of money to help out his 'friends' in the auto industry (funny, he never asked my dad if he needed any help...) for the use of his song to sell the big and powerful trucks to hard workin' nail eating tough guy 'merican ranchers, construction workers, carpenters, and the like.

Yes, lets sell timber frames like cheap beer. Bring in some 'cute ladies' and some 'sex appeal' and the men will flock to it. I have to admit its been the key to my success - but now that it is out in the open I'll divulge the details. I have a bunch of beer calendar beauties stand outside my office year round in scant clothing holding up examples of mortise and tenon joinery, winking when a pair of them slide that tenon into the mortise and talk about the history and the tradition and craft that goes into each design. Ohhh, look how tight it fits, and the peg is 'draw bored' to pull it all together so firmly. Want to try? Here, you hold the tenon. Wink Wink.

I have to keep a good rotation going so that they don't get too cold out there in the snow. Those 'bathing' suits are awfully small. But the line of guys slapping down deposits just won't stop.

Now only if I could find some real celebrities to help me sell. And a theme song. Hmmm. Eventually I'd dominate the timber framing world, turn it into an industry, get too big to fail, then fail, then stand around and get a huge bailout from the government to keep all those calendar beauties selling so that my other workers could put a timber frame in every yard! But make no mistake - I've learned from Mr. Henry Ford - I'm going to offer options, and colors! And air conditioning!

Yes, I tried to stay out of this thread.
Ban me if you must.
The sexist nonsense in hotio's post was too much to bear.

Seriously?

Last edited by bmike; 03/05/10 11:54 AM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild [Re: bmike] #22956 03/05/10 02:25 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Why, man, he doth bestride the narrow world
Like a Colossus; and we petty men
Walk under his huge legs and peep about
To find ourselves dishonorable graves.
Men at some time are masters of their fates:
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves,that we are underlings

Re: Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild [Re: Roger Nair] #22957 03/05/10 02:57 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Roger Nair
Why, man, he doth bestride the narrow world
Like a Colossus; and we petty men
Walk under his huge legs and peep about
To find ourselves dishonorable graves.
Men at some time are masters of their fates:
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves,that we are underlings

yes, precisely.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild [Re: hotio] #22958 03/05/10 03:23 PM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
hihotio,

I get what you're saying, and there's some of it that I even agree with. I'm not even offended by your want for sexing up the industry (whatever works for you, man. Good luck with that one)

But consider this:
"Wow, timber frames sure are awesome, now that Harrison Ford told me what they are! What a super guy! He must own a timber frame... I wonder what company built his frame? That's who I want to build mine."
Are you ready for this game?

Bob Seger wasn't supporting the auto industry as a whole - he was being paid millions by ONE company to endorse their product. If a celebrity supports the TFG by saying they own a timber frame, they are on that slippery slope to endorsing the company that built their frame. Most celebs have smart enough agents (!) to know that you do not do anything for free, and would advise against this in an instant.

How about getting your clients' testimonials. Or go with the best advertising in our industry: word of mouth. When Harrison Ford's guests walk through his home, I'm quite sure they're impressed, and he will tell them all about timber frames and the company that built his (ahem) which will generate new, pre-qualified interest.

It's a crappy economy out there, but it's getting better. Just have to ride out the storm for the long haul.

Peace

Re: Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild [Re: Timber Goddess] #22960 03/05/10 04:06 PM
H
hotio Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Yes yes yes, I "get it" everyone. I am sorry I ever brought it up. How can I apologize to you all. Is remorse even appropriate on a message board ?

I too am abhored by facets of my own idea. But if the guild is to advance and further their cause what else do you do. Live in the backwaters of obscurity and be happy and not sell out. Fine, then don't sell out or corrupt the precious sanctity of the craft. I can live with that too, really I can. I will stand shoulder to shoulder and "keep the rif-raf out" . Exclude exclude exclude away. Kind of sounds like the party of no, instead of the party of include include include.

If it's one thing I that always took away from seeing Joel Mcarthy on you tube, was that he is inclusive, funny, intelligent, philosophical and non-judgemental. Ask yourself - what would Joel do.

Bob Seger initially wasn't going to allow his song to be used by Chevy as I said. But yes you can take the counterpoint of "he sold out" and what could I say. Since I'm not his best friend how could I argue the point. Oh well, such is life. You would just have to take it on faith that it was true. And he did it for the right reason and not just for the money.But we live in a cynical world nowdays and the response is a normal human reaction. No problem with that, we are all entitled to our own view.

Thank goodness we live in America where at least for now - we all have the right to speak what we think and not be thrown in jail for posting an idea on a message board(however crappy that idea is)- yes you can throw stones at my idea all that you want. But I didn't happen to read any of your brilliant idea's in this post now did I. To "just say no" to another's idea isn't - enough, I challenge you to come up with and idea of your own and post it. That is the point of the excersise isn't it ?

thank you all for your honesty in telling me what you think and believe and if you didn't like my idea, that is ok. I am glad I am a paying member of the guild and it won't change my love of the craft and what the guild is about and what they do one little bit. Onward,respect and peace to you all, thank you.

Re: Celebrities - to Guild or not to Guild [Re: hotio] #22961 03/05/10 04:39 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Hey Hotio, more power to you.
I took offense at dragging TF down into the typical marketing muck and I really took offense at the sexism in your post.

I've worked with some high profile clients and their handlers. In many cases they are happy to have their handlers recommend our work to another person of similar stature, if needed or if they know them in social circles. But they are usually busy making music, running small countries, and moving millions in assets back and forth to really care. And most are incredibly private with where and how they live. A few of the most complex and rewarding projects I've worked on will never see the marketing light of day out of respect for the client's wishes. I dumped hours and heart and soul into a recent one - and I'll never really get to see it out there in the world.

Bensonwood is hooked into the whole 'This Old House' and Norm Abram's thing. They've probably worked with plenty of other 'celebs' out there as well. Maybe even Harrison Ford, through a recommendation from Norm. Who knows? They do have a 'This Old House' collection of plans...

http://www.bensonwood.com/TOH/

And I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Mr. Seger 'helping' to sell big trucks and tugging at the heartstrings of American car buyers. I'm not saying he 'sold out'. Making $$ is a fact of the world we live in. But 'helping' out a multi-billion dollar industry that was pushing larger and larger and inefficient vehicles on the public...? is that a noble use of his talents? I don't know. He or his agent thought it was - and maybe they made a little interview to ease their conscience. Who really knows how it all worked out. Maybe he has a lifetime supply of trucks...

You are certainly welcome and fine to post your ideas and throw around concepts. Makes for good reading, for sure. I don't really think timber framing is living in a backwater due to folks holding on to the precious sanctity of the craft. There are plenty of arguments on this board about who's sold out by using CNC production equipment, power tools, etc. etc. But based on my experience I just doubt that having a celebrity spokesperson (regardless of how sexy they may be - man or woman) would alter things. Maybe the TFG can increase membership rates 1000 fold on existing members and buy a SuperBowl ad next year? Or do something with the Olympics? TV time is expensive...

smile

www.mikebeganyi.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users