Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shiplap over SIPs? #23267 04/07/10 10:40 PM
M
MTF Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Anybody have any thoughts regarding the use of eastern white pine shiplap siding over SIPs? We installed SL over SIPs many years ago and I can’t say I has happy with the application. I really believe the EWP owes its longevity to breathing on both sides. The best idea I currently have is to install house wrap, fur out including weep /drainage holes in the furring strips, and than install the SL. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Pete

Re: Shiplap over SIPs? [Re: MTF] #23268 04/08/10 01:49 AM
D
dbailly Offline
D
Pete,

Why use SIP's? If you were to use 4 inch ridgid High-R you could apply 1 by furring strips over the insulation. This would give you the air space for the shiplap and allow you to keep your R-value around 22ish. It may be more in labor costs, but the materials should be less expensive. Besides, in my opinion High-R breaths more than SIP's.

Good Luck,

Dan

Re: Shiplap over SIPs? [Re: MTF] #23269 04/08/10 01:50 AM
B
bub4e Offline
B
I am not endorsing this product and have not used it, but have read about it. Maybe it would be a possibility.

http://www.benjaminobdyke.com/visitor/product/key/homeSlicker

If you don't like this product then furring strips seem like the way to go.

You are installing the shiplap horizontally? The reason I ask is because I don't understand the need for weep holes in the furring strips. If the furring strips are laid horizontally for vertical siding like B&B, then I understand the weep holes.

If you really do need weep holes, and don't like cutting them, there is a corrugated plastic product that some people use. I personally prefer to have less manufactured products, but just passing on a few options.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users