Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
non enginered foundation #1425 03/02/05 08:17 PM
T
timw Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi, Im looking into a property with the idea of building a about 1500 s/f timber frame.
It has a compleated 8" concrete foundation(new), but it was not built specificly for a T/F home. Is it possible to modify in some way. I.e bolting tie down straps to the concrete or some such things? Could the main floor be built to distribute the point loads a little better? Any help, thanks

Re: non enginered foundation #1426 03/03/05 05:24 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
tim,
not enuff info bout ur foundation. is it reinforced ? Is it well below the frost line ?
What size footers ? What soil density in light of the footers ?
What level concrete mix 4000psi or ?
is it true and level ?
got a sketch ?
Start with this info and you have a basis for planning any load evaluations for the foundation.
deralte

Re: non enginered foundation #1427 03/03/05 06:41 PM
T
timw Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks Emmett. It is at 10,000 feet, so i guess the frost line is quite deep. The real estate office has the original plan, Ill see if I cant suss out those specs. I know the top of it looks alittle wavy, but ill look closer at it today. Thanks for the reply!

Re: non enginered foundation #1428 03/04/05 01:23 PM
Joe Miller Offline
Parts of colorado are known for the expansive soils, so I would be sure to check out what the soil type is in the area before going too far. Soil conditions are usually site specific, but discussing with local builders and building officials should be able to help you get an idea. If there are expansive soil conditions, make sure you look in depth at any foundation plan. Are the footings quite deep? If not, are their drilled shafts? Grade beams? Floating slabs?

The fact that the top looks a little bit wavy is a little sign for concern.

Not to scare anyone off, but according to a study back in the 80s, if you combine the monetary cost in the US from earthquakes, floods, tornados, and hurricanes, the cost would be only half of that caused by expansive soils.

Re: non enginered foundation #1429 03/05/05 02:40 AM
T
timw Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I take the point to mean that any failure that is mostly inconvienance in a standard building can be a significant problem in a timber frame house?
Thinking given the number of "unknowns", I'm better off starting from scrach on a different property, and forgetting the convieniance of the existing foundation. Sounds like one needs to see the foundation on a timber frame as a critical structural entity, as appossed to just a way to get above the dirt.

Re: non enginered foundation #1430 03/06/05 04:40 AM
T
Timberbe Offline
T
Just as a point; Timber sills were the last element to be replaced with dimensioned lumber. A good timber deck can go a long way to distributing point loads along a foundation, helping to bridge failures, and prevent catostrophic failures until the foundation issue can be addressed (should there be a failure). Continous plates can also aid in this.

Connecting girts won't support a Post whose foundation fails in the manner that a plate will. The presence of both Plates And Sills aid one another throughout the life of a building, just to say.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users