Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moving Timbers around in a small shop... #23637 05/26/10 06:07 AM
R
riverside Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi - I am looking for an affordable solution to moving timbers around inside my workspace. I like to work outside in summer, (which is no problem with a skidsteer) but the weather does not always cooperate and many of my timbers are already staged inside my workspace (36' x 36 garage). In a perfect senario, I would like to back my trailer into the garage, unload with some sort of hoist, and then trolley them over to my sawhorses for cutting - after which I could trolley them back and move them out.

Had I planned better I probably would have incorporated some sort of I-beam into the structure, and I do not have the funds to build an elaborate system or bridge crane like some of the pros use. I have read online about some people using barn door hardware (rails) in conjunction with a hoist to move timbers. I of course wonder about safety, and apparently there is hardware rated up to 5000 pounds (that's a heavy barn door!) I am curious if anyone can share how they handle moving timbers inside a small shop senario and if there might be safe and affordable options for me to consider. Thanks for your help! Jon

Re: Moving Timbers around in a small shop... [Re: riverside] #23638 05/26/10 01:21 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Jon:
Back in 08 we did a job in a nice barn with a concrete floor.
It was fairly level and most of the large timbers were stored outside, until we needed them.
The owner rented a fork lift for us to use outside to move timbers around the yard and help with the raising of the addition we were working on.

In the shop he had a very sturdy steel cart, just a little taller than my saw horses.
We would roll the cart out the door onto the barn doorway concrete apron and then carry the timbers over to the cart with the fork lift.
On top of the cart we'd place two small blocks to set the timber onto.
Then we'd roll the cart and timber into the barn/shop over the to the saw horses.
Then by tipping the timber one way like a see-saw, and then the other way, we'd remove the blocks on the table and set the timber down onto blocks on top of the saw horses. Then roll the cart out from under the timber.
Again tipping the timber like a see-saw we'd remove the blocks on top of the saw horse and set the timber down onto the saw horses.
This worked great for every size timber. Even the 8x12x30 piece of Douglas fir.

My point is that you don't necessarily need an over head crane. If you have a good smooth concrete or wooden floor you can do the moving around with a cart.

And by tipping the timber back and forth move it up and down to raise and lower it.

Good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Moving Timbers around in a small shop... [Re: Jim Rogers] #23639 05/26/10 01:27 PM
daiku Offline
Gantry Crane?

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Moving Timbers around in a small shop... [Re: daiku] #23640 05/26/10 01:50 PM
Craig Roost Offline
I heard that the Incredible Hulk is secretly an experienced timber-framer, maybe you could hire him to mover timbers. He also likes to build straw bale homes...that is, ever since he went "green".

If Jim's cart idea works for you, you could make the cart just lower than the top of the saw horses, lift each end of the timber and slide the saw horses under each end, and then leave the cart so that it would be there for when you needed to move the timber out again.

Good luck, and remember to always lift with someone else's back.

Rooster

Yah-fur-sur, You-betcha, Don't-cha-know!
Re: Moving Timbers around in a small shop... [Re: Craig Roost] #23641 05/26/10 02:29 PM
frwinks Offline
I've been using steel rollers set up on sawhorses to move timbers in and out through a 5' patio door. Once they're inside, I use a portable electric winch to stack, move test fit pcs in my tight basement space. The winch is rated for 2000lbs and has no issues handling 22' 12x12 green hemlock and @ $59 it's a great tool to have around.

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Re: Moving Timbers around in a small shop... [Re: frwinks] #23642 05/26/10 04:14 PM
Thane O'Dell Offline
I use a ....Hmmm. Ok, I don't know what to call it but it's a cross between a fridge cart and a rickshaw.

Life is short so put your heart into something that will last a long time.
Re: Moving Timbers around in a small shop... [Re: riverside] #23648 05/28/10 03:06 AM
R
riverside Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi Guys -

Thanks for the ideas. A cart may be the easiest solution to my problem, and if I change my workflow direction from what I currently have it could work out just fine. I could hoist them on a portable winch, but my garage has a hip roof with scissor trusses running north-south and I need to move the timbers east-west. There is no header or support to attach a track or rail, and without a major engineering feat, it is probably easiest to roll them as opposed to my dream of flying them over everything. Several companies sell "inexpensive" gantry cranes, but with evrything else in my workspace there is no room to move it around. I will let you know how I come out. Jon

Re: Moving Timbers around in a small shop... [Re: riverside] #23649 05/28/10 04:44 AM
mo Offline
Out in the country, hear the people singin'
Singin' 'bout their progress, knowin' where they're goin'

From the guild store just a few clicks away. its a good cart.

Re: Moving Timbers around in a small shop... [Re: mo] #23650 05/28/10 04:50 AM
mo Offline
This one is for Derek. Miss your comments.

good stuff

Re: Moving Timbers around in a small shop... [Re: mo] #23664 05/28/10 12:54 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
I have a pair of timber trestles on casters that work great on smooth floors.

Not all who wander are lost.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users