Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Timber frame horse shelter? #24597 10/14/10 03:31 PM
C
chip Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thane: nice looking shelters. The roof has an off center peak and relatively low pitch, it appears to be supported by the sheathing on the gable ends, is that right?

Re: Timber frame horse shelter? [Re: chip] #24598 10/14/10 05:38 PM
Thane O'Dell Offline
Supported by sheathing...? not at all Chip.

Life is short so put your heart into something that will last a long time.
Re: Timber frame horse shelter? #24600 10/14/10 07:11 PM
C
chip Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thane: Thank you, very nice! I could not see the ridge beam/support post in the other pictures.

I like this setup as there should be no outward thrust on the plates from the roof and the peak could be centered or offset.

Re: Timber frame horse shelter? #24601 10/16/10 12:35 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello everyone tonight

Hi Chip

I noticed your quest for a small barn for 2 horses, it drew my attention because what you are looking for is exactly like the small timberframed barn that I reconstructed at UCV a few moons ago now.

It was one of 2 buildings that was part of the collection of outbuildings that I had the good fortune of being in charge of reconstructing at the Bellamy's Grist mill complex

These buildings were reconstructed using an original oil painting of the Grist mill in the mid 1800's

The painting showed a 3 bay driveshed, and a small attached horse barn

It was a great project because I had to locate and date 2 existing buildings in the area to use as models, and I was fortunate to find both on one property owned at that time by Earl Colquhoun whose family had homesteaded the property in 1784

After I had reconstructed both buildings their roof lines and the roof lines of the grist mill iself were such a pleasing view.

Anyway the small barn was big enough for 2 horse stalls and a small work area.

We hewed the timber right there for both buildings, then timberframed and erected both in 2 separate summer projects, using a horse powered gin pole to help put up the bents.

The horse barn has 2 small windows on the one end, these windows being historically correct,contained 6 lights each and really add to the general feeling as you enter.

If you are interested I can provide more general information from my files to help you out.

As we worked it was unbelivable the public interest and many came back repeatedly to see the progress move along. Some like yourself was interested in the horse barn because today horses are the in thing, as you probably well know.

If you go to my chat site "HIstoric Hewing Questionnaire" and look back through the pages you will come to some pics on there of the raising of both structures, I believe it is near the first part of the pages

Good luck

NH

Re: Timber frame horse shelter? #24602 10/17/10 12:41 AM
C
chip Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi NH,
Thanks for the info, I did look but was not able to find the info/pics about the small horse barn at UCV. If you have more info or can provide a link that would be great. Even if you just describe the frame that would help.

Thanks,
Chip

Re: Timber frame horse shelter? #24603 10/17/10 02:28 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hello everyone tonight

Hi Chip, and others who might be interested in the horse barn photos----------go to pages 20, 21, 22, on the "Historic Hewing Questionaire" site and you will see some great pictures of this building and other photos

Enjoy

NH

Re: Timber frame horse shelter? #24604 10/17/10 02:35 PM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hello evewryone tonite:

Just as an additional comment to the above posting when you are at those pages you will see pictures of the stone Grist mill being restored at ucv

The Grist mill was built on the site first then and during that time I was in charge of installing the husking frame that supported the grinding stones (3) pair, and the steam engine which was the auxiliary power and complemented the water turbine, both of 30 hp.

The Steam engine was coupled to the water turbine by way of a 12" pure leather belt fabricated in England, complete with a hand operated clutch

NH

Re: Timber frame horse shelter? #24632 10/20/10 06:48 PM
C
chip Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi NH,
Thanks for pointing me to the pages for the small horse barn, from what I can tell it looks like it has four H bents and a second floor.

Chip

Re: Timber frame horse shelter? #24648 10/23/10 01:04 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi Chip and others tonight

That is correct, the exact size of the structure escapes me now but the loft was spacious enough for a fair amount of loose hay.

The picture doesn't show it but there is a good wide door in the front of the building

The flooring was unique because the original was laid using flooring that had alternating boards that contained 2 tongues and 2 grooves

NH

Re: Timber frame horse shelter? [Re: chip] #24654 10/24/10 02:36 PM
C
Cecile en Don Wa Offline
C
Hi,
One thing about using oak in a horse stall to consider is that the tannin will react to the ammonia released from the horse's urine and become black. So in France, for example, while a barn may be framed with oak timber, poplar is used specifically for the house stall.

Greetings,

Don

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users